+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is There Any Case In Which You Can Take the Oath Outside Canada?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there, I hope everything works well for you!
I have a similar situation for my parents. They took the oath in Canada and applied for passports but had to go back home for a family emergency. No one checks if you have a PR when you exit, right, haha. Now my question is for their return: I have their Canadian passports here in Canada and was planning on sending them through a cousin to my parents, so they can enter Canada with their new passports. My question is: is that doable, can they enter Canada with a brand new passport, not stamped at all.. would that be a problem? My parents also have a few years left on their 10-year visa on their original country passports.
Should they show both to the authorities when they arrive in Toronto, or just one of the options, and which one???
PLEASE HELP WITH YOUR ANSWERS AND EXPERIENCE.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
No issues for enter Canada with a brand new passport. When they arrive at YYZ, they scan their passport at one of the kiosk and show the printout before they exit to the arrivals hall.

Sohaib89

Star Member
Aug 14, 2014
Hi there, I hope everything works well for you!
I have a similar situation for my parents. They took the oath in Canada and applied for passports but had to go back home for a family emergency. No one checks if you have a PR when you exit, right, haha. Now my question is for their return: I have their Canadian passports here in Canada and was planning on sending them through a cousin to my parents, so they can enter Canada with their new passports. My question is: is that doable, can they enter Canada with a brand new passport, not stamped at all.. would that be a problem? My parents also have a few years left on their 10-year visa on their original country passports.
Should they show both to the authorities when they arrive in Toronto, or just one of the options, and which one???
PLEASE HELP WITH YOUR ANSWERS AND EXPERIENCE.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Hi Elisa. So there are 2 options here:
1. Coming back using Canadian passports. It is a better option. The only risk is that your cousin can face issues with your home country's immigration authorities if they find out he/she is carrying someone else's passports. The reason is that in some countries it is illegal. For some countries you will need to secure an authorization letter from the passport owner allowing you to carry their passport on their behalf. So check your home county's policy regarding that. If you can get your cousin signed authority letters from your parents, it would be better.
2. Coming back using Home Country passports with valid Canadian visit visa. I would suggest against it. Canada already knows your parent's original passport details and that they are Canadian passport holders now. So the immigration can cause issues. One way to avoid it would be to have someone receive them at the airport with their Canadian passports. In case the immigration officer asks about the Canadian passports, they can explain that they could not collect them as they had to travel in emergency and that the passports are with someone (most likely you) receiving them at the airport. In that case the immigration officer may come out to get their passports from you.

In any case, although with a bit of nuisance, your parents will be allowed in Canada. Let us know which option you choose and how it goes :)

Last edited: