+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there a possibility to maintain both US (Green Card) and Canadian (PR)

sarastone

Star Member
Aug 10, 2018
Hello,

Wanted to know what are my options to maintain both US (Green Card) and Canadian (PR). I got my Canada PR last year but currently living in US. After waiting so many years got my US Green card just last month. Now i am in a dilemma as what are my options on maintaining both. I read quite a few posts where lot of people mentioned its not possible or it is risky.

Can someone please suggest what are my options if i want to maintain both US green card and Canadian PR. Any help/input appreciated. Thanks in advance

Reactions: astraldust

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Wanted to know what are my options to maintain both US (Green Card) and Canadian (PR). I got my Canada PR last year but currently living in US. After waiting so many years got my US Green card just last month. Now i am in a dilemma as what are my options on maintaining both. I read quite a few posts where lot of people mentioned its not possible or it is risky.

Can someone please suggest what are my options if i want to maintain both US green card and Canadian PR. Any help/input appreciated. Thanks in advance
If you want to keep both then you need to meet the residency requirements for both. This is the part that is very hard to do and that you will need to sort out. The US has stricter residency requirements and you need to be living in the US primarily, unless you are able to obtain a returning resident permit. Canada requires you to live in tr country 2 out of every 5 years. So you have to figure out how you can do both of these things at the same time. Generally this is not possible to do and sooner or later you have to chose one or the other.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
For the first 5 years you will need to have about 150 days each year in the first 5 years to meet Canadian residency. After that, it becomes even more difficult.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hello,

CBP expects primary residency to be of their country, should be same for cbsa as well, or for any country.

Scenario at airport:
My friend forgot to put the US address as permanent address in the customer form. He completely forgot that he should be showing the intention to keep US as primary residence and he put the India address as permanent address which he have been doing for 10 years. So immediately the cbp officer asked if he wanted to be on GC or not(while pointing that he mentioned permanent address as India).

fionamabe

Dec 10, 2020
I don't know a lot about this theme. I don't think that it would be easy to become at the same time a citizen of two countries. Maybe you will somehow manage to obtain the necessary amount of days for keeping the green card and PR, but it will be hard for you to maintain a normal living in two countries at the same time. I will recommend you first to try and get citizenship in a country and after that, it will be already easier for you to get the second one, or just keep your green card or PR. This is only my recommendation so just don't take it too seriously.

FrankMathis

Jun 26, 2020
I would also be interested if it was possible to keep the green card and Canadian (PR), because I lived in Canada, but this year I moved to the USA. My friend, who convinced me to move to the door, said that it is possible, but it is a very complicated procedure, and I need a very long time, but there is a very big risk. I like it here in the USA more than in Canada, and I don't think I'll go back to Canada, but I don't want to give up Canadian (PR) either. If someone here knows exactly about this procedure as it happens, I would be very grateful.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would also be interested if it was possible to keep the green card and Canadian (PR), because I lived in Canada, but this year I moved to the USA. My friend, who convinced me to move to the door, said that it is possible, but it is a very complicated procedure, and I need a very long time, but there is a very big risk. I like it here in the USA more than in Canada, and I don't think I'll go back to Canada, but I don't want to give up Canadian (PR) either. If someone here knows exactly about this procedure as it happens, I would be very grateful.
Not sure what procedure you are talking about. If you want to make sure you can keep your PR status, you need to live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 years.

fionamabe

Dec 10, 2020
I don't know a lot about this theme. I don't think that it would be easy to become at the same time a citizen of two countries. Maybe you will somehow manage to obtain the necessary amount of days for keeping the green card and PR, but it will be hard for you to maintain a normal living in two countries at the same time. I will recommend you first to try and get citizenship in a country and after that, it will be already easier for you to get the second one, or just keep your green card or PR. This is only my recommendation so just don't take it too seriously.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
As far as i know, as a lawful PR in the U.S, you technically don't have a days number you need to be in the U.S to maintain your status, what you have is a requirement not to be outside of the country for more than a year. It's also subject to an immigration officer's assessment on entry, whether you're living long enough in the U.S to demonstrate you are living there permanently, so absences longer than 6 months may become an issue, although it's subjective.

This contrasts with Canadian PR where it's clearly a matter of total numbers of days within a 5 year period, either you fulfill your residency obligation or you don't, it's pretty cut and dry.

I think the optimal strategy is to remain in Canada, visit the states for regular intervals to ensure you're not outside the country for more than 6 months at a time, and then once you apply for Canadian citizenship, move back to the states to live permanently. It's easier this way because citizenship in the states takes 5 years, whereas in Canada it's 3 years, although it does take a further year to process your application, and in that time you still have to maintain your status as a PR.

But the truth is, what's most important is maintaining your PR for the country you actually want to reside in permanently long term. It seems like your first choice is the US, so concentrate on PR there. I know it's tempting to have your cake and eat it, but in truth what matters is maintaining your status in the country where you want to live and work.

Reactions: techie12