+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is there a limit to the number of times you can enter by car/foot with an expired PR Card?

Jan 1, 2018
Hi there,

My PR card is expiring in February, but I will be away in the US (I spend 6 months in the US for my PhD programme) then, and plan to return to Toronto for spring break (10 days) in March, and then again for the summer in the beginning of May.

I know that I can walk across the Rainbow bridge in March as it will be my first entry into Canada with a newly expired card, but after leaving for the US for almost all of April, will I be able to use my expired PR Card and enter again by foot on May 1st? Will the officer prevent me from entering Canada if I use the expired card for the second time?

Some context: While I spend my 10 days in Toronto, I don't plan to submit my application for renewal yet. I plan to only submit the application early June because it would be more advantageous to have the extra month of residence under my belt. I had been away all of May 2014, so being in Canada for all of May 2019 will make a difference for me. Another thing to note is that I will have fulfilled my 2/5 residency requirement when I plan to enter in both March and May-- it's just a matter of having more days of presence in my application so I can hopefully avoid delays.

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Have no idea...I think your not going back in March for 10 days is much easier to pass the border in May. Are you really tight for that 10 days? Or maybe you should be in Canada for Christmas and at that time submit your renewal if you have reached 730+ days. Maybe you can pick your PR in March. I don't see any noticeable difference between 750 and 760 days... you know what I mean? If there is any bad luck you fall in SR, it's OK for you to enter in May as you still reach RO limit and stay as long as possible in Canada. RO is a 5 years round and if you are very tight, it's very easy to lose it. Save 2 to 3 month will be the best.

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So maybe I am the one confused because in this post below you said your card expires 11/2018 yet now it expires in February so which is it ?

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-travel-document-processing-time-in-australia.535720/

Note that as far as PR card expiry is concerned that is irrelevant to the residency obligation. What is important is to meet 2 years out of 5 since initial landing , after that you need 2 years in the 5 years preceding each new entry into the country.

Note that even with an expired card as a PR you are entitled to enter Canada just that you might be directed to a secondary inspection to clarify if you have or have not applied for a renewal at which point your residency could be questioned. The more times you attempt this the odds increase of being questioned about residency, no way to predict and could maybe not happen at all nobody here can say of course only speculate.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
For clarification and emphasis:

Not all PoE problems are created equal.

There is, in particular, a big difference between PoE problems which result in being denied entry versus those which can result in some other process. Generally, for the most part, PRs do NOT have to worry about being denied entry.

In particular, for PRs, the PR will be allowed to enter Canada so long as the PR establishes identity and status, recognizing that proof of identity usually (almost always) will also establish status. An expired PR card is not formal proof of status, but is practically sufficient proof to establish PR status AT a PoE (that is, for purposes of PoE examination purposes). CoPR similarly. If the PR does not have a PR card (valid or expired) or the CoPR, there may be some delay in the crossing while CBSA verifies the PR's identity and status. Other Canadian identification, like a drivers license, can help facilitate the process.

PR admissibility can be an issue at the PoE. However, a PR will still be allowed to enter Canada.

A PR can, however, be examined for potential admissibility issues and if determined to be inadmissible, subject to applicable proceedings. The PR who is discerned to be in breach of the PR RO, for example, may be issued a 44(1) Report and Departure Order, BUT will still then be allowed to enter Canada.

What happens if there is a PR RO compliance examination at the PoE, and negative determination, is discussed extensively in numerous topics. Cutting-it-close and the risks attendant cutting-it-close are also discussed at length in various other topics.