+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is there a chance for spouse sponsorship?

inlove

Feb 19, 2008
hello,

my question is for my friend who is a permanent resident of canada.he got married in the philippines months before he left.he didn't change his status after and so on his application in canada, he stated that he is still single.is it possible to still sponsor his wife, considering that it is misrepresentation?what is the best thing to do?they have a baby boy who's is 3 years old now.
thanks

inlove

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

quote author=inlove link=topic=7585.msg23783#msg23783 date=1203472915]
hello,

my question is for my friend who is a permanent resident of canada.he got married in the philippines months before he left.he didn't change his status after and so on his application in canada, he stated that he is still single.is it possible to still sponsor his wife, considering that it is misrepresentation?what is the best thing to do?they have a baby boy who's is 3 years old now.
thanks

inlove
[/quote]

No, she is no longer a member of the family class, and cannot be sponsored, and he can be reported and removed for misrepresentation.

PMM

shamtl

May 1, 2008
Is your friend a landed immigrant? Or he still has his PR application in process? If he's a PR already, then PMM is absolutely right. If he just landed recently, say it within 1 week, he could send back the docs to CIC to change the marital status with proof of marriage and a letter explaining why he didn't do so when landed. If his PR is in process, call CIC or send them a letter to update his marital status asap. He can either add his spouse in the application or just pass it and sponsor her later when he got his PR.

(--- advises from experts when I got my sponsorship refused, same mistake as his ~ a mispresentation! ---)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

shamtl said:
Is your friend a landed immigrant? Or he still has his permanent residency application on process? If he's a PR already, or if he landed recently, he could send back the docs to CIC to change the marital status with proof of marriage and a letter explaining why he didn't do so when landed. If his PR is on process, call CIC or send them a letter to update his marital status asap. He can either add his spouse in the application or just pass it and apply her later when he got his PR

(--- advises from experts when I got my sponsorship refused, same mistake as his. I was categorized as mispresentation ---)
Once you "land" and declare yourself as single, that it is it, there is no going back to CIC, and it is misrepresentation.

PMM

inlove

Feb 19, 2008
thanks so much for your replies, shamtl and PMM. Yes, he landed as immigrant more than 3 years ago. So, based on your given info, there is no chance for his wife to qualify for a spouse sponsorship. How about their son?Is there any consideration?