+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is the Student to PR Immigration pathway over?

WakeUpp

Aug 27, 2023
Hi to all. I'm from South America and studied in the U.S. to become a pilot. I have a Commercial Pilot and Flight Instructor license with around 1200 flight hours. After my studies, I came back to my home country to validate my licenses obtained in the USA. Due to the lack of opportunities here, I started to look for aviation programs in Canada. I applied and received a LOA to study a two-year Aviation diploma program in Ontario starting in September 2024.

My plan: Validate my FAA to TC pilot licenses while studying the two-year program since it's just paperwork with no flying required. After my studies, work with PGWP in any aviation-related qualified job (preferably pilot) that adds points for EE. Also, while studying I plan to resume learning French (Currently I have an A2 Level diploma) to add more points.

My fear: I did a simulation to calculate the points I would have after studying and working in Canada with my foreign working experience included and the result was 530 points. Looking at recent draws, looks like the lowest CRS score required will continue to rise and I cannot imagine what the minimum CRS score will be in the next 3-4 years....

Did some research and the only two ways remaining to add points are LMIA and PNP. I found only one pilot LMIA job so I guess I cannot count on that. I also read that pilot is not a job with a high demand so doesn't qualify for PNP but I'm not sure.

I guess that for me the Student to PR immigration pathway is over? Am I missing something?

Thank you all!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi to all. I'm from South America and studied in the U.S. to become a pilot. I have a Commercial Pilot and Flight Instructor license with around 1200 flight hours. After my studies, I came back to my home country to validate my licenses obtained in the USA. Due to the lack of opportunities here, I started to look for aviation programs in Canada. I applied and received a LOA to study a two-year Aviation diploma program in Ontario starting in September 2024.

My plan: Validate my FAA to TC pilot licenses while studying the two-year program since it's just paperwork with no flying required. After my studies, work with PGWP in any aviation-related qualified job (preferably pilot) that adds points for EE. Also, while studying I plan to resume learning French (Currently I have an A2 Level diploma) to add more points.

My fear: I did a simulation to calculate the points I would have after studying and working in Canada with my foreign working experience included and the result was 530 points. Looking at recent draws, looks like the lowest CRS score required will continue to rise and I cannot imagine what the minimum CRS score will be in the next 3-4 years....

Did some research and the only two ways remaining to add points are LMIA and PNP. I found only one pilot LMIA job so I guess I cannot count on that. I also read that pilot is not a job with a high demand so doesn't qualify for PNP but I'm not sure.

I guess that for me the Student to PR immigration pathway is over? Am I missing something?

Thank you all!
Honestly, skip the study permit path and learn French if you have enough CRS points without Canadian education and work experience. What aviation program if you already have your US license? What education do you have? You should be able to transfer your license through Transport Canada. To get a study permit, you need to show career and education advancement as well funds and tuition paid.

Study permit and working in Canada doesn’t guarantee PR.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/licensing-pilots-personnel/flight-crew-licences-permits-ratings/converting-us-canadian-pilot-licence

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

WakeUpp

Aug 27, 2023
I don't have enough points without Canadian education and work experience. I studied a program (not a diploma or Associates Degree) to get my commercial and flight instructor license. I believe that my Aviation Career (not just as a pilot) will progress with this Diploma since it's in the operations side of aviation. I plan to convert my American licenses to Canadian while studying since there's no flying required.

I understand that studying and working in Canada doesn't guarantee PR, but it increases the chances of getting picked. My fear is that after studying and working in Canada my CRS score would be 530 and in the last draw the lowest score picked was 543 with the tendency of the scores getting higher looking at the last draws. I would like to maximize my chances of getting PR and with the news lately, I don't if the study pathway would work for me!

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I don't have enough points without Canadian education and work experience. I studied a program (not a diploma or Associates Degree) to get my commercial and flight instructor license. I believe that my Aviation Career (not just as a pilot) will progress with this Diploma since it's in the operations side of aviation. I plan to convert my American licenses to Canadian while studying since there's no flying required.

I understand that studying and working in Canada doesn't guarantee PR, but it increases the chances of getting picked. My fear is that after studying and working in Canada my CRS score would be 530 and in the last draw the lowest score picked was 543 with the tendency of the scores getting higher looking at the last draws. I would like to maximize my chances of getting PR and with the news lately, I don't if the study pathway would work for me!

Thanks
So you have applied for your study permit? Express Entry changes and given the government’s surprise, but necessary changes this week to capping the number of study permits, expect changes to overall immigration policy. All you can do is study, work and apply for PR.