Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
Eligibility to apply in 4 years, yes the first 4 years is certain. But after first 4 years starts indefinite phase due to intent to reside. The oath may come as early as witihn first year of application, or as late as 3-4 years after the application.

So the total presence timeframe is uncertain.

bkara said:
4/6 years ?

If mike has been in canada since 2010 and pr since 2010 in 2014 mike had the right to apply for citizenship

If mike has been in canada since 2013 as a pr,he will be eliglible to apply in 2017

It is clear to me

bkara

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2012
File Transfer...
Aug 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Med's Done....
June 2013
Interview........
Sept 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
MUFC said:
You are talking about the eligibility days before the submission of the application, but there are extra days as requirement because of intend to reside until the oath. So being eligible is NOT enough, because it's only 50% of the rule to be GRANTED with citizenship at the end.
With the new law everyone is going stay here until they get their passports that will take max 1 year since that is what CIC gives as a maximum time.

U know what i mean? They have to do what they tell people.WE HAVE TO PUSH them to do so.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
The max 1 year ONLY applies to ROUTINE applications, for which current processing time is 24 months. Govt wants to reduce processing for ROUTINE apps to under 1 year.

But NOT for nonroutine. The govt due to intent to reside will like to increase processing times from 36 to something like 50 months.

If CIC doubts your intent to stay, your case will be NONROUTINE.

bkara said:
With the new law everyone is going stay here until they get their passports that will take max 1 year since that is what CIC gives as a maximum time.

U know what i mean? They have to do what they tell people.WE HAVE TO PUSH them to do so.

bkara

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2012
File Transfer...
Aug 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Med's Done....
June 2013
Interview........
Sept 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
CanadianCountry said:
The max 1 year ONLY applies to ROUTINE applications, for which current processing time is 24 months. Govt wants to reduce processing for ROUTINE apps to under 1 year.

But NOT for nonroutine. The govt due to intent to reside will like to increase processing times from 36 to something like 50 months.

If CIC doubts your intent to stay, your case will be NONROUTINE.
Then you make your intend to stay permanently or make it look permanent my friend,why u making it complicated when its simple

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
Tell me my friend, people who were confident that they wont get RQ, can and did get RQ. No one can be 100% sure of not getting an RQ.

You can do your best on your application, but there are no guarantee that your case will be ROUTINE. No one can be 100% sure.

bkara said:
Then you make your intend to stay permanently or make it look permanent my friend,why u making it complicated when its simple

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bkara,
How can you trust CIC when they just crew you up right before you are eligible to apply. Now because of that you most probably have to wait much longer time just to apply.

Why you blindly trust them when just recently they F#ck You Up?
Now instead doing what you planed to do, you have to be locked here again for indefinite longer period of time until the Oath.

bkara

Star Member
Jul 1, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2012
File Transfer...
Aug 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Med's Done....
June 2013
Interview........
Sept 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
MUFC said:
bkara,
How can you trust CIC when they just crew you up right before you are eligible to apply. Now because of that you most probably have to wait much longer time just to apply.

Why you blindly trust them when just recently they F#ck You Up?
Now instead doing what you planed to do, you have to be locked here again for indefinite longer period of time until the Oath.
do we have something else to do since they have the judges,the constitution,a lot of people in the society beside them?

one way or another we have to defend ourselves.Since the new law says "1 year" for routine applications,I`ll demand from CIC to complete my app within 1 year.

I will never leave Canada until I get my passport so they cannot RQ me.I will file my taxes too every year.I have everything like a lot of people to get that passport with a "routine" process.

So yeah.if they try to fXck me up again,see you in court buddy.until the last bit of my blood.The Bill c-24 is not really affecting my future plans significantly.I am just postponing trips to NYC and stuff.That is it.It would not hurt me a lot to wait 1 more year even though I feel "cheated" too by the CIC.

however,I am beside a lot of people losing money and time because of this new law.

God forbid,they change the law again increasing the residency requirement to 10 years? you`ll see me on the globe and mail the next day protesting.

This is not a game.We are not here to serve people or we are not prisoners or we are not puppets.I will never SERVE a Canadian.We are all here as legal immigrants that have equal rights to have everything.

in the end,you never know who fucks up who :) let`s not turn this to war against this government.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
SCCA revised residency requirements, intent requirement, the Charter of Rights, and court challenges:

quasar81 said:
The C-24 is illegal. Constitution says 'ALL Citizens are equal'.

One citizen can live wherever in the world forever, but from another citizen you expect to live in Canada only. C-24 is illegal at its face....and should/will be defeated in courts.
The SCCA ("Bill C-24" when it was before Parliament) does NOT have any impact on the mobility rights of citizens, and thus does not conflict in any way with the mobility rights of citizens protected by the Charter of Rights.

That is, the following is correct:
ZingyDNA said:
Where do you get that idea? After you get citizenship, you can live wherever whenever w/o worrying about losing it.

Challenges; judicial review:

CanadianCountry said:
C-24 legal challenge already got defeated In the court. Dont know if there would be any more court challenges.
Only provisions of the SCCA so far challenged, that I have seen (two cases, the Galati challenge being the most well known one), were those adding grounds for revoking citizenship based on criminal court convictions for acts of terrorism or treason. While Justice Rennie expressed an opinion regarding the substantive argument, since Justice Rennie decided there was no judiciable question before the court (not an actual case to be decided) that should be considered dicta.

Interpretation or application of other provisions, such as the revised residency requirements, or the intent requirement, have not been challenged yet, and indeed they are not yet in force so of course there is no judiciable case yet regarding these provisions.

Whether or not there will be more court challenges, of course there will. Even right now, this year, there are court challenges regarding the interpretation and application of the current residency requirement adopted in the 1970s, more than three decades ago, and in-between there have been, literally hundreds of Federal Court decisions regarding the proper interpretation and application of section 5(1)(c) in the Citizenship Act.

Likewise the revised provisions will likely face judicial scrutiny, in appellate review, for many, many years to come; the decisions will continually refine and clarify issues of interpretation and application. That's how law works in a legal system based a balance of statutory and case law like Canada's.

It is not likely there will be any challenges to the constitutionality of the SCCA as a whole, since there are no apparent grounds for making any such challenge (contrary to uninformed rhetoric still circulating the Internet and invading forums like this one).

But for sure, the intent requirement is bound to be a contested issue on appeal in many cases in the future, sooner or later anyway. As I have noted, the intent requirement will mostly be a straight-forward requisite for citizenship and not much if any of an issue in the vast majority of cases. But it is of course the kind of requirement which, in the more difficult cases, inherently invites a range of discretion which tends to generate judicial review. Such review will be largely in case-by-case challenges to particular decisions. However, new judicial review provisions, in the SCCA, will allow for questions to be certified and taken to the Federal Court of Appeals, so sometime in the future (not before 2016 at the very earliest, if even then) there should appellate decisions which offer more definitive guidelines on how certain factors or circumstances are considered in determining whether an applicant has the requisite intent.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
CanadianCountry said:
C-24 legal challenge already got defeated In the court. Dont know if there would be any more court challenges.
Also for a lot of people Temp work permits are expiring today. As i look around there is less empathy amd more disgust and hate for these temp workers. People are saying screw these people, go leave our country.

The C-24 is illegal. Constitution says 'ALL Citizens are equal'. One citizen can live wherever in the world forever, but from another citizen you expect to live in Canada only. C-24 is illegal at its face....and should/will be defeated in courts.
Which challenge to C-24 got defeated in court??

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
quasar81 said:
Which challenge to C-24 got defeated in court??
There have been two that I am aware of. Both have been discussed and decisions linked in multiple topics here, both for sure in the topic specifically about the Galati challenge. The decision in the other case was that the party bringing the case did not have standing and the Federal Court justice otherwise cited, with agreement, Justice Rennie's decision in the Galati challenge.

Neither had anything to do with the revised residency provisions or with the added intent requirement.