+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is the new Permanent Resident obligation true?

pussmercs

Feb 6, 2016
Is it true that they will change the 2 out of 5 years rule to 4 out of 6 years rule? I am planning to travel outside Canada but it will take me more than a year to come back and I was just wondering if the changed the rule? I checked the CIC website but it still says that you have to stay 2 out of 5 years in Canada. But my friend told me that they haven't updated the website yet.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pussmercs said:
Is it true that they will change the 2 out of 5 years rule to 4 out of 6 years rule? I am planning to travel outside Canada but it will take me more than a year to come back and I was just wondering if the changed the rule? I checked the CIC website but it still says that you have to stay 2 out of 5 years in Canada. But my friend told me that they haven't updated the website yet.
I have not heard of any plans to change the residency obligation for PR's. 4/6 years is the requirement to apply for citizenship now but the current government wants to change it to 3/5 years again.

pussmercs

Feb 6, 2016
oh okay so the 2 out of 5 years still remains then (for PR)? then the current government wants to change the rule for citizenship application to 3 out of 5 years instead of 4 to 6? just want to clarify just to avoid confusion :D

Thank you so much

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pussmercs said:
oh okay so the 2 out of 5 years still remains then (for PR)? then the current government wants to change the rule for citizenship application to 3 out of 5 years instead of 4 to 6? just want to clarify just to avoid confusion :D

Thank you so much
Yes, as far as I know, there are no plans to change the 2/5 years for PR's.

MUFU

Mar 6, 2012
Mississauga,ON
Can anyone help with this question?

Haven't been able to meet up with my 2 years residency obligation, but I plan to enter Canada 2 months before the expiration of my PR card. Would the immigration officer query me at the point of entry?, and if I do enter Canada without been queried, can I remain in Canada even after the expiration of my card and not meeting the 2 years initial obligation?.

I would appreciate anyone with such experience or the old members to please advise me on this. Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MUFU said:
Can anyone help with this question?

Haven't been able to meet up with my 2 years residency obligation, but I plan to enter Canada 2 months before the expiration of my PR card. Would the immigration officer query me at the point of entry?, and if I do enter Canada without been queried, can I remain in Canada even after the expiration of my card and not meeting the 2 years initial obligation?.

I would appreciate anyone with such experience or the old members to please advise me on this. Thanks.
The officer has every right to question you as you enter. If they become aware that you do not meet the RO, they have the right to report you for it. You can appeal that but if you don't have some humanitarian grounds for not having been able to meet them, you will lose your appeal.

If you don't get reported on entry, you should take care of your health card and drivers license before your PR card expires as well as a SIN if you don't have one. You should not try to renew your PR card or leave Canada. Just sit tight and wait for two years before you apply to renew.

sayadil

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
Leon said:
The officer has every right to question you as you enter. If they become aware that you do not meet the RO, they have the right to report you for it. You can appeal that but if you don't have some humanitarian grounds for not having been able to meet them, you will lose your appeal.

If you don't get reported on entry, you should take care of your health card and drivers license before your PR card expires as well as a SIN if you don't have one. You should not try to renew your PR card or leave Canada. Just sit tight and wait for two years before you apply to renew.

Hey

Im in a similar situation. I have been out of canada since july 2014 though my PR was renewed in 2011 and won't expire till end of novermber. Ive already spent over 2.5yrs in Canada. Now my question is will i still get stopped at border as I'm returning after a while??? U mentioned they will stop you if they are aware? how will they be aware or not aware??? also lets say they do stop you and do your assessment there... will they revoke your residency and send you back or will they still let you enter canada to repeal it since its still a valid card???? please answer. also best way to return to avoid this hassle Road or Airport??

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sayadil said:
Im in a similar situation. I have been out of canada since july 2014 though my PR was renewed in 2011 and won't expire till end of novermber. Ive already spent over 2.5yrs in Canada.

Now my question is will i still get stopped at border as I'm returning after a while???

U mentioned they will stop you if they are aware? how will they be aware or not aware???

will they revoke your residency and send you back or will they still let you enter canada to repeal it since its still a valid card????

please answer. also best way to return to avoid this hassle Road or Airport??
Yes, you might be sent to secondary to be questioned more.

They ask questions, look at your history and look at your passport.

CBSA cannot revoke PR status. If they suspect you haven't met the Residency Obligation, they can report you but will still allow you entry. The validity of your PR card is irrelevant.

Road or airport doesn't matter.