+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is study permit viable after leaving Canada to enter a new university?

yazu1220

Oct 2, 2023
A visa and a study permit are not related. As @bongoman said, a visa is only for travelling to Canada. The study permit is what allows your study here.

You need to get a study permit that is valid for the entire duration of your studies. Yes, leaving your studies midway will raise questions, but if you have a good reason, and you are going to a PhD program from a good university, you should be able to get a new study permit.
I have the same situation as OP. What is the process for obtaining a new study permit? Should I change my Designated Learning Institution (DLI) through my GCKey account and then return to Canada where the border officials will issue me a new study permit? Is this correct?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have the same situation as OP. What is the process for obtaining a new study permit? Should I change my Designated Learning Institution (DLI) through my GCKey account and then return to Canada where the border officials will issue me a new study permit? Is this correct?
No. You would apply for a new study permit from outside of Canada following the same process you used to apply for a study permit the first time you applied.

Reactions: YVR123

yazu1220

Oct 2, 2023
No. You would apply for a new study permit from outside of Canada following the same process you used to apply for a study permit the first time you applied.
But I have fulfilled the requirements in order to transfer:

Changing your school or program - Canada.ca
"Changing your school or program
Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:
I was enrolled, actively studied while I'm in Canada, and completed my first semester before transferring to another school.

I'm also compliant with my study permit conditions because I left Canada after withdrawing:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/assessing-conditions.html#changing:~:text=A student should,study permit conditions.
"A student should begin or resume their studies at their new DLI within 150 days from the day that they ceased or completed their studies at the previous institution. If a student does not resume their studies within 150 days, they should do either of the following:
If they do not change their status or leave Canada, they are considered non-compliant with their study permit conditions. "

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:
I was enrolled, actively studied while I'm in Canada, and completed my first semester before transferring to another school.

I'm also compliant with my study permit conditions because I left Canada after withdrawing:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/assessing-conditions.html#changing:~:text=A student should,study permit conditions.
"A student should begin or resume their studies at their new DLI within 150 days from the day that they ceased or completed their studies at the previous institution. If a student does not resume their studies within 150 days, they should do either of the following:
If they do not change their status or leave Canada, they are considered non-compliant with their study permit conditions. "
So how long have you been actively studying at the DLI listed on your study permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

You said your situation was the same as the OP. The OP was taking a break longer than 150 days. So your situation is not the same as the OP's. How long a break are you taking between programs?

Reactions: YVR123

yazu1220

Oct 2, 2023
You said your situation was the same as the OP. The OP was taking a break longer than 150 days. So your situation is not the same as the OP's. How long a break are you taking between programs?
Yes sir, I'm in the same situation because I withdrew after finishing my first semester and at the beginning of my second semester (January 2023), then I left Canada and applied to another University and got accepted for January 2024 intake. That's a one-year break. Thank you for the fast replies.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes sir, I'm in the same situation because I withdrew after finishing my first semester and at the beginning of my second semester (January 2023), then I left Canada and applied to another University and got accepted for January 2024 intake. That's a one-year break. Thank you for the fast replies.
Get a new study permit. Your first one most likely is cancelled because the school must inform IRCC if you withdrew.