+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is study permit viable after leaving Canada to enter a new university?

alirsh

Jul 19, 2019
Hi there,

I was studying in a university in Canada and I left it in December 2018, I returned to my country and got a leave of absence from my university for the winter semester. I wasn't happy with my study program and I didn't came back to canada after my leave of absence finished. Actually, the university sent me a letter of withdrawal and technically I'm not a student of that university anymore.
I'm going to take the admittance of a new university for a program I like and I think it is going well to taking the acceptance from a professor, but the problem is that since december 2018 till now I'm out of Canada for 8 months and the soonest possible time to return to Canada for the new program is May 2020. The Gap is too long and I'm not sure if my study permit lets me to come back on the mentioned time or not.
I've read CIC website and it has mentioned: " Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:

- Enrolled at a designated learing institution (DLI) and
- actively stdying while you are in Canada.

Based on two above lines, I think I'm not able to return to Canada even if I take the acceptance of the new university because I don't meet the second criteria.

Please give me your information. anyone with same or similar experience, plus professional people on the topic are welcome to help me and I would appreciate.

thanks.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You'll need a new study permit. Your previous one was cancelled when the university sent you the letter of withdrawal. They also notify IRCC that you withdrew.

alirsh

Jul 19, 2019
Hi,
How do you know my study permit is cancelled? I check my online CIC account and I see my application is still there. Also, it is written on my study permit which it expires in 2023.
I got my previous study permit on the border of Canada and at the customary services of the airport. Do you mean I can take a new study permit by my visa at the customary service if I go to Canada in May 2020? If not, do you know what should I do?

Thanks

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You have to meet the conditions of a study permit. One of those conditions is that you remain enrolled as a full-time student at a DLI (you've already mentioned this). When the university told you that you are no longer a student, the study permit was invalidated. You cannot now study on that permit.

In your case, it's not really a big problem. You simply need a new study permit. Nothing stops you from getting a new study permit, assuming you meet the requirements (get admission to a DLI, aren't otherwise inadmissible, can pay, etc).

That fact that you didn't finish the previous course will probably come up, but you didn't do anything wrong by leaving Canada. You didn't work illegally, for example, or simply overstay after your permit was cancelled. This isn't a ground to deny you a future study permit. You can simply explain that you decided not to do that course of study, and do something else instead.

What's your country of citizenship? If you're a US citizen, then yes, you can get a permit at the Port of Entry. If not, you will need to apply beforehand and get approved, though the actual permit will be printed and given to you at the Port of Entry.

alirsh

Jul 19, 2019
21Goose: what is the process of getting new study permit? Because I still don’t have the admission of the new university and I’m talking with one professor to take me.
Kirinfrost: do you mean I should apply for a new visa by Trv/eta? My visa expires on 2023, I think only my study permit isn’t viable as you’ve mentioned too.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017

alirsh

Jul 19, 2019
I checked my biometric expiry date and it expires on 2027, so I think no new fingerprint check and photo is needed for my case. I’m not a U.S citizen, I’m Iranian and I’m thinking what can brings Canadian officers or people in embassy not to give me a new study permit. Any guess?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I checked my biometric expiry date and it expires on 2027, so I think no new fingerprint check and photo is needed for my case. I’m not a U.S citizen, I’m Iranian and I’m thinking what can brings Canadian officers or people in embassy not to give me a new study permit. Any guess?
If you meet all the eligibility requirements (check the link), there's no reason to not get a study permit. Canada has nothing against people from Iran (or anywhere else). It's not like the US currently is.

alirsh

Jul 19, 2019
Canada is a peaceful country, at least I’m sure of that. My concern is only about explaining my reasons to officers if it is needed at all and I’m thinking if there is a possibility for them not to be convinced why I left Canada and my studies.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would try the truth. If you were a serious student durinf the 1st semester of tour program than getting another study lermit won't be a problem. Would verify if your study permit was cancelled. Once tou where no longer registered at your university they should habe reported you to IRCC but sometimes it doesn't happen.

alirsh

Jul 19, 2019
How can I find if IRCC is informed about my withdrawal? Any method to follow it up?
About the criteria in the link provided: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/eligibility.html
I'm not sure if I meet the last criteria because my visa is viable till 2023 and a PhD program lasts at least 4 years which from 2020 (my newest probable admission) I would only have 3 years left of my visa. Can I enter to Canada by this visa? if yes, would my study permit be viable till the expiry of my visa or I should ask for extending both of them (visa and study permit)?.

Thanks

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
How can I find if IRCC is informed about my withdrawal? Any method to follow it up?
About the criteria in the link provided: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/eligibility.html
I'm not sure if I meet the last criteria because my visa is viable till 2023 and a PhD program lasts at least 4 years which from 2020 (my newest probable admission) I would only have 3 years left of my visa. Can I enter to Canada by this visa? if yes, would my study permit be viable till the expiry of my visa or I should ask for extending both of them (visa and study permit)?.

Thanks
Your study permit is not valid anymore. Your visa is valid. You need a new study permit.

alirsh

Jul 19, 2019
Hello,

I have a question regarding the thread I started.
Since my last conversation here, I started applying for universities and fortunately there would be a chance for me to get an admission from a good university for the Spring semester of 2020 which starts at May the same year.
My question is about the study permit again. Five months is passed since the time I received my withdrawal letter from my past university. The soonest time I can start my PhD education again as I mentioned would be May 2020. It means 1 year of absence from being in Canada. On the other hand, my visa would be valid till 2023 based on the date which is written on it. Does this one year of leave would cause a problem in issuing me a new study permit if I successfully get the admission of the new university? If yes, how can I solve the problem.
If no, considering the PhD program which I'm applying would take at least 4 years to be completed, how can I continue studying till the expiration of my visa? Should I request extending my visa?

Thank you very much for your answer and helping me.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You can get a new visa a few months before it expires, visa (trv) is only for traveling to Canada, it doesn't need to be valid to remain in Canada so technically you dont need to renew it if you dont leave Canada & try to come back.
Your study permit must be valid at all times.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hello,

I have a question regarding the thread I started.
Since my last conversation here, I started applying for universities and fortunately there would be a chance for me to get an admission from a good university for the Spring semester of 2020 which starts at May the same year.
My question is about the study permit again. Five months is passed since the time I received my withdrawal letter from my past university. The soonest time I can start my PhD education again as I mentioned would be May 2020. It means 1 year of absence from being in Canada. On the other hand, my visa would be valid till 2023 based on the date which is written on it. Does this one year of leave would cause a problem in issuing me a new study permit if I successfully get the admission of the new university? If yes, how can I solve the problem.
If no, considering the PhD program which I'm applying would take at least 4 years to be completed, how can I continue studying till the expiration of my visa? Should I request extending my visa?

Thank you very much for your answer and helping me.
A visa and a study permit are not related. As @bongoman said, a visa is only for travelling to Canada. The study permit is what allows your study here.

You need to get a study permit that is valid for the entire duration of your studies. Yes, leaving your studies midway will raise questions, but if you have a good reason, and you are going to a PhD program from a good university, you should be able to get a new study permit.

Reactions: yazu1220