+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Software Engineers are regulated profession in Quebec

raman8310

Dec 13, 2012
I am software quality analyst from last 6 year and done my graduation in Computer science and engineering

i received a letter from quebec immigration that i need to send signed declaration form because my profession " ENGINEER " is regulated profession in quebec

PLease let me know is software engineer is regulated profession in quebec ? Do i need to have certification or licensing before sending decalaration form to quebec immigration office

in india engineers are not regulated profession

please advice

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
raman8310 said:
I am software quality analyst from last 6 year and done my graduation in Computer science and engineering

i received a letter from quebec immigration that i need to send signed declaration form because my profession " ENGINEER " is regulated profession in quebec

PLease let me know is software engineer is regulated profession in quebec ? Do i need to have certification or licensing before sending decalaration form to quebec immigration office

in india engineers are not regulated profession

Check the following link and type your code according to occupation listed there. This will give you an idea whether you your profession is regulated.

http://www.cicic.ca/927/Identify-the-organization-responsible-for-recognition.canada

Just sign the declaration and send it.

please advice

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Engineering is a regulated profession in Canada. In order to use the word "engineer" in your title or on your business cards, you must become accredited from the professional body (OIQ in case of Quebec) and get yourself the Professional Engineer (P. Eng) title.

Now, software people generally don't need to be "engineers" in that sense. As long as the job title does not include the word "engineer" you don't need any accreditation. You can be a software developer, analyst, etc and there should be no problem.

For now, just sign the form. They read the word "engineer" in your application and accordingly want you to acknowledge that to use this title you have to be accredited. (If engineer, then sign the form, end). When you're looking for jobs or applying, just look for jobs that match your experience and be flexible with the job title (some companies might let you use the term 'software engineer' anyway while some will use alternate terminology).

Good luck

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Here is some background from Ontario (I expect Quebec's positio to be similar)
http://www.peo.on.ca/index.php/ci_id/2266/la_id/1.htm

If you ask me it's all about the money!

raman8310

Dec 13, 2012
Thank you very much for your valuable comments .

Actually in my documents my graduation degree is mentioned with " Bachelors of technology " in computer science and "engineering" so it might be possible that they may have taken the word " Engineer " from there . but on my professional exp certificate it is mentioned as Software quality analyst

So i will b sending the form with my signature thats it and i hope i dont require to obtain any license or certification from OIQ to process my application .

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
You're very welcome.
And don't worry, they won't require any license or certification to process the CSQ application; they just want the form signed that you are aware of the "potential" requirements for practicing your job in the future.
Looking at your other posts, I think you're almost there!

raman8310

Dec 13, 2012
Thank you .. very much for your reply and i am keeping my fingers crossed and see how things unfolds as i will be sending the forms within few days

Thanks and Regards
Raman

raman8310

Dec 13, 2012
Do you have idea about the below mentioned requirement
LABELS
37. If the alphabet of your home language is different from the Latin alphabet, you must provide three
labels with your address: a label in French and two in the labels
official language of your country or territory

regards Raman

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
raman8310 said:
LABELS
37. If the alphabet of your home language is different from the Latin alphabet, you must provide three

regards Raman
Do they mean mail or postal address labels?

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
raman8310 said:
LABELS

regards Raman
I just bought blank, self-adhesive, medium-size stickers from a stationary store and wrote (using a pen) my name & address on each one of them - one in french and two in my country's language. So nothing complicated. They'll stick one of them on the envelope when they want to mail you something.

raman8310

Dec 13, 2012
Thank you .. i will be printing my address along with my name in french and other 2 labels in regional language .

noorulhuda

Dec 16, 2015
Manitoba, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
08-Jan-2018
VISA ISSUED...
19-Jan-2018
LANDED..........
21-Feb-2018
jairichi said:
Check the following link and type your code according to occupation listed there. This will give you an idea whether you your profession is regulated.

http://www.cicic.ca/927/Identify-the-organization-responsible-for-recognition.canada

Just sign the declaration and send it.

noorulhuda

Dec 16, 2015
Manitoba, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
08-Jan-2018
VISA ISSUED...
19-Jan-2018
LANDED..........
21-Feb-2018
MidoRafa said:
Engineering is a regulated profession in Canada. In order to use the word "engineer" in your title or on your business cards, you must become accredited from the professional body (OIQ in case of Quebec) and get yourself the Professional Engineer (P. Eng) title.

Now, software people generally don't need to be "engineers" in that sense. As long as the job title does not include the word "engineer" you don't need any accreditation. You can be a software developer, analyst, etc and there should be no problem.

For now, just sign the form. They read the word "engineer" in your application and accordingly want you to acknowledge that to use this title you have to be accredited. (If engineer, then sign the form, end). When you're looking for jobs or applying, just look for jobs that match your experience and be flexible with the job title (some companies might let you use the term 'software engineer' anyway while some will use alternate terminology).

Good luck

tharis63

Nov 28, 2023
Sherbrooke
Category........
WP
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding a mismatch in CNP (National Occupational Classification) on my work permit and the validated job offer I received. I am currently in Quebec with a closed work permit obtained through LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) and CAQ (Quebec Acceptance Certificate) under NOC 2173.

Recently, my employer requested a validated job offer under CNP 2174. Will this affect my CSQ (Quebec Selection Certificate)? I am a computer science graduate and not an engineering degree holder.

Back in my home country, the developers are classified as Software Engineers. Will this affect my CSQ, or do I need to change the NOC according to the LMIA and CAQ? Please note that the job offer has already been validated.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or insights you might have on this matter.