+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is self-employed understood as full-time job?

martin4891527

Mar 19, 2016
Hello all,

Minimum requirements for Federal skilled workers says (cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp):

Your work experience must be:
  • at least one year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time,
  • paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships do not count),
  • in the same job,

Then, NOC says that my occupation can be self-employed:

2175 Web designers and developers
... are employed in computer software development firms, information technology consulting firms, information technology units throughout the private and public sectors, advertising agencies or they may be self-employed.

So, by being self-employed as web developer, am I also employed full-time according to Federal skilled workers minimum requirements?

rahul20978

Dec 16, 2014
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, changed to Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport
AOR Received.
16-04-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
28-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-08-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2015
LANDED..........
planning in June 2016
martin4891527 said:
Hello all,

Minimum requirements for Federal skilled workers says (cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp):

Your work experience must be:
  • at least one year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time,
  • paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships do not count),
  • in the same job,

Then, NOC says that my occupation can be self-employed:

2175 Web designers and developers
... are employed in computer software development firms, information technology consulting firms, information technology units throughout the private and public sectors, advertising agencies or they may be self-employed.

So, by being self-employed as web developer, am I also employed full-time according to Federal skilled workers minimum requirements?
Yes, provided you can back your claim with evidence such as work orders or contract agreements with clients, or other supporting documents like letters from clients certifying that they had engaged your services. These letters should be on the clients' letterheads, showing their full address and contact details. They may be contacted to verify the nature of work done by you for them.

topian

Apr 6, 2017
did you apply for express entry with your self employed work experience?

I am in the same boat. I have two years of self employed work experience under NOC 7205

Ranjit Chandi

Apr 7, 2017
rahul20978 said:
Yes, provided you can back your claim with evidence such as work orders or contract agreements with clients, or other supporting documents like letters from clients certifying that they had engaged your services. These letters should be on the clients' letterheads, showing their full address and contact details. They may be contacted to verify the nature of work done by you for them.
Hi Friends , thanks for this information my case is similar to it (Noc code is : 7333) I work as an Electric Motor Winder from 2008 and still working at my father's work shop[(Kalinga Electrical Works)Rourkela,orissa,India] its a registered firm and we work with different factories and we work with water supply department PHDE its a government department and we have enough work orders,invoice,bill records more then 10 years and all other documents to prove it as a genuine firm now the question arrises as I work at my father's business dose my work count's can I procced with these proofs under skilled immigration process or other Immigration process for Canada or I need some more material to prove. I also has an additional skill I am owner of long haul truck and I operate it in absence of driver or when ever required I have driving license from 2010. I would be glad to receive any suggestion's
Thank you all