+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Remote work allowed if PNP nominated?

holygrail15

Star Member
Sep 1, 2017
Hello everyone,

Question. Is working remotely allowed if nominated via PNP? For ex. I will be working for a company that is based in "Province-A" but I will be physically staying in "Province-B" which has given me nomination. Is this okay? How about the filing of taxes?

Thank you.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Hello everyone,

Question. Is working remotely allowed if nominated via PNP? For ex. I will be working for a company that is based in "Province-A" but I will be physically staying in "Province-B" which has given me nomination. Is this okay? How about the filing of taxes?

Thank you.
No you cannot.

You must physically reside in the province that nominated with you and remote work is not a golden ticket for you to go live in a different province.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Thank you for your response but it is so clear that you did not understand the question. Moving forward before you respond to any posts. Make sure you really understand the topic. I suggest you take classes to improve your comprehension skills.
You are supposed to work and live in the province that nominates you. Pretty simple..

monteirotan

Star Member
Dec 29, 2021
Hi,

I have looked into this as I could face a similar situation in the near future.

As per my research, the nominated candidate needs to (i) have the skills, education and work experience to contribute to the economy of a specific province or territory, (ii) want to live in that province, and (iii) want to become permanent residents of Canada. You can find the information here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/provincial-nominees/works.html

There's no rule book that mentions you cannot work from home for an employer in another province, but by doing so we wouldn't contribute to the economy of the nominating province.

That's my interpretation. Do let me know if you think otherwise. Thanks!

P.S. I've decided to work for an employer with Legal status in the nominating province.

holygrail15

Star Member
Sep 1, 2017
Hi,

I have looked into this as I could face a similar situation in the near future.

As per my research, the nominated candidate needs to (i) have the skills, education and work experience to contribute to the economy of a specific province or territory, (ii) want to live in that province, and (iii) want to become permanent residents of Canada. You can find the information here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/provincial-nominees/works.html

There's no rule book that mentions you cannot work from home for an employer in another province, but by doing so we wouldn't contribute to the economy of the nominating province.

That's my interpretation. Do let me know if you think otherwise. Thanks!

P.S. I've decided to work for an employer with Legal status in the nominating province.
thank you very much for this information :) will also contact my nominating province to further verify.

holygrail15

Star Member
Sep 1, 2017
You may not have the intention of leaving your nominated province, but you still work for a company that is OUTSIDE your nominated province, hence me thinking that this is not right. The company you work for contributes ZERO to your nominated province. So what is the point of hiring someone for the benefit of another province.. just my 2 cents.
thank you very much for this. my original intention was to actually earn more by accepting remote work. but if this is not allowed then will just stick to the jobs within my nominating province. this is duly noted.

ragolliangatan

Jun 1, 2021
thank you very much for this. my original intention was to actually earn more by accepting remote work. but if this is not allowed then will just stick to the jobs within my nominating province. this is duly noted.
I imagine in the future IRCC, as well as the provinces may end up taking a look at how remote work factors into PNP given how much more widespread it is now due to the pandemic. If you are nominated in province A but doing remote work for province B- it could technically be argued that if you are living in province A, buying goods, paying rent,etc.. you are technically contributing towards the economy in that province- just not as much as if you were working in your nominating province. It's a grey area- and a relatively new one. Probably best erring on the side of caution though.

Reactions: holygrail15

holygrail15

Star Member
Sep 1, 2017
I imagine in the future IRCC, as well as the provinces may end up taking a look at how remote work factors into PNP given how much more widespread it is now due to the pandemic. If you are nominated in province A but doing remote work for province B- it could technically be argued that if you are living in province A, buying goods, paying rent,etc.. you are technically contributing towards the economy in that province- just not as much as if you were working in your nominating province. It's a grey area- and a relatively new one. Probably best erring on the side of caution though.
yup that is also why i asked if i can manually file tax for my nominating province while working remotely so i could give all my contributions to the province that has given me nomination. but to be on the safer side, i will just stick with the jobs within my province.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
At the end of the year you file your taxes . At this point it asks you your province of residency aka where you are living . That’s the province that gets your payroll taxes , fed tax

Reactions: karenpo

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
For sure.

I'll tell you my story: I live in SK and work for an SK-headquartered employer, but I work remotely from within the province and SINP is fine with that.

A a few months ago a BC employer approached me with a crazy $200k job offer (how could I turn that down?) and said they were happy for me to work remotely in SK.

I raised a query with SINP and they said that because that BC employer doesn't have a business presence in Saskatchewan (e.g. office, payroll, clients etc.) it wouldn't meet the conditions of becoming an SINP-registered employer, and hence it wouldn't be possible for them to nominate me despite still living here.

They basically want you to 1) live in the province, 2) pay taxes to the province, and 3) directly support the province's economic growth by contributing your skills to a business that's headquartered or has a legitimate business presence in the province. For example, Tim Horton's or RBC can nominate people in any applicable province because it has legitimate operations across Canada.

They're okay with people working remotely within a province or for a business that meets the conditions of registration in the province, but they're not okay with people remote working for an out-of-province business that doesn't directly contribute to the provincial economy in question in a nomination context.

Makes sense IMO.

ragolliangatan

Jun 1, 2021
For sure.

I'll tell you my story: I live in SK and work for an SK-headquartered employer, but I work remotely from within the province and SINP is fine with that.

A a few months ago a BC employer approached me with a crazy $200k job offer (how could I turn that down?) and said they were happy for me to work remotely in SK.

I raised a query with SINP and they said that because that BC employer doesn't have a business presence in Saskatchewan (e.g. office, payroll, clients etc.) it wouldn't meet the conditions of becoming an SINP-registered employer, and hence it wouldn't be possible for them to nominate me despite still living here.

They basically want you to 1) live in the province, 2) pay taxes to the province, and 3) directly support the province's economic growth by contributing your skills to a business that's headquartered or has a legitimate business presence in the province. For example, Tim Horton's or RBC can nominate people in any applicable province because it has legitimate operations across Canada.

They're okay with people working remotely within a province or for a business that meets the conditions of registration in the province, but they're not okay with people remote working for an out-of-province business that doesn't directly contribute to the provincial economy in question in a nomination context.

Makes sense IMO.
makes total sense. thanks for the clarification.

tvich

Jul 6, 2022
Hi, I am also working as a Sr. iPhone App Developer. My line of job allows taking remote work. I think that as long you pay taxes to the government of the province that nominated you for work that you did remotely, and reside inside that province, they are not going to question you.

Reactions: holygrail15

karenpo

Oct 20, 2022
following this thread as Im in the same situation.

what was the nominating province advised you?

Hello everyone,

Thank you.

karenpo

Oct 20, 2022
At the end of the year you file your taxes . At this point it asks you your province of residency aka where you are living . That’s the province that gets your payroll taxes , fed tax

- saw this reply on a thread. what are your thoughts?

For sure.

Makes sense IMO.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022

- saw this reply on a thread. what are your thoughts?
Sorry what's the question exactly?