+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Remote work allowed if PNP nominated?

Tryingtofly2

Dec 2, 2022
For sure.

I'll tell you my story: I live in SK and work for an SK-headquartered employer, but I work remotely from within the province and SINP is fine with that.

A a few months ago a BC employer approached me with a crazy $200k job offer (how could I turn that down?) and said they were happy for me to work remotely in SK.

I raised a query with SINP and they said that because that BC employer doesn't have a business presence in Saskatchewan (e.g. office, payroll, clients etc.) it wouldn't meet the conditions of becoming an SINP-registered employer, and hence it wouldn't be possible for them to nominate me despite still living here.

They basically want you to 1) live in the province, 2) pay taxes to the province, and 3) directly support the province's economic growth by contributing your skills to a business that's headquartered or has a legitimate business presence in the province. For example, Tim Horton's or RBC can nominate people in any applicable province because it has legitimate operations across Canada.

They're okay with people working remotely within a province or for a business that meets the conditions of registration in the province, but they're not okay with people remote working for an out-of-province business that doesn't directly contribute to the provincial economy in question in a nomination context.

Makes sense IMO.
Thank you so much for this.
For sure.

I'll tell you my story: I live in SK and work for an SK-headquartered employer, but I work remotely from within the province and SINP is fine with that.

A a few months ago a BC employer approached me with a crazy $200k job offer (how could I turn that down?) and said they were happy for me to work remotely in SK.

I raised a query with SINP and they said that because that BC employer doesn't have a business presence in Saskatchewan (e.g. office, payroll, clients etc.) it wouldn't meet the conditions of becoming an SINP-registered employer, and hence it wouldn't be possible for them to nominate me despite still living here.

They basically want you to 1) live in the province, 2) pay taxes to the province, and 3) directly support the province's economic growth by contributing your skills to a business that's headquartered or has a legitimate business presence in the province. For example, Tim Horton's or RBC can nominate people in any applicable province because it has legitimate operations across Canada.

They're okay with people working remotely within a province or for a business that meets the conditions of registration in the province, but they're not okay with people remote working for an out-of-province business that doesn't directly contribute to the provincial economy in question in a nomination context.

Makes sense IMO.
Thank you so much for this comment.

What if the person already has a PR which was granted under the SNIP? He already lives in Saskatchewan for a month and just waiting for his PR card to arrive. Fortunately, an employer from Ontario offered him a job that would allow him to work remotely in SK. It will be a contractor position, thus taxes will be paid in SK. Will the PR be withdrawn if that's the case?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Thank you so much for this.

Thank you so much for this comment.

What if the person already has a PR which was granted under the SNIP? He already lives in Saskatchewan for a month and just waiting for his PR card to arrive. Fortunately, an employer from Ontario offered him a job that would allow him to work remotely in SK. It will be a contractor position, thus taxes will be paid in SK. Will the PR be withdrawn if that's the case?
No. Because you're fulfilling your commitment to reside in the province. Schedule 4 doesn't say anything about working in the province, just residing. So if you have your COPR you could totally switch jobs and work for an out-of-province employer. But leaving the province all together is where the problem is likely to arise.

dreammapletree

Star Member
Jul 20, 2020
No. Because you're fulfilling your commitment to reside in the province. Schedule 4 doesn't say anything about working in the province, just residing. So if you have your COPR you could totally switch jobs and work for an out-of-province employer. But leaving the province all together is where the problem is likely to arise.
Can a PR holder live in the province and remotely work for a company outside Canada? Will it have any impact on the PR and nomination?

Tryingtofly2

Dec 2, 2022
Many thanks. Just went thru the wordings of Schedule 4 (imm0008_4e). Indeed, the declaration only states - "I declare that my family members and I intend to live in the Province that nominated me."

Also, R87 (2)(b) only speaks of intent "to reside in the province or territory that nominated".

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Can a PR holder live in the province and remotely work for a company outside Canada? Will it have any impact on the PR and nomination?
I think you want to be careful with this one. The point of PNP is economic immigration into the province that nominates you. If your nomination is unrestricted, I suppose you could work for anyone. But when an immigration officer asks for your bank statements and sees that you have no Canadian income I'm not sure what they'll do.

ttsoldier13

Star Member
Jan 5, 2020
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
12-01-2022
I’m a bit confused about this one. In my case I was nominated by OINP and landed in Dec 2022.

I’ll state now that I have no intention of leaving Ontario. However, many of the jobs I’m looking at are remote but the companies aren’t in Ontario.Example I saw a Job yesterday in Quebec. I’ve even seen US based companies looking for Canadian remote workers.

My understanding is as along as I reside and work physically in Ontario and pay my taxes accordingly it does not matter where the company I’m working for is located. Is this correct?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
I’m a bit confused about this one. In my case I was nominated by OINP and landed in Dec 2022.

I’ll state now that I have no intention of leaving Ontario. However, many of the jobs I’m looking at are remote but the companies aren’t in Ontario.Example I saw a Job yesterday in Quebec. I’ve even seen US based companies looking for Canadian remote workers.

My understanding is as along as I reside and work physically in Ontario and pay my taxes accordingly it does not matter where the company I’m working for is located. Is this correct?
As long as you have your PR, you can generally work from wherever you want. You want to be careful though, and reside for some time in the province that nominated you. Whether you work for an out-of-province employer or a US employer remotely, is your business. The main thing is that you are fulfilling your intention to reside in Ontario.

Tryingtofly2

Dec 2, 2022

I agree with moscatojuices. Just to add, your Confirmation of Provincial Nomination may have something which says this - "Restrictions on Employment" ; then the answer is "No". Mine has; i'm nominated by another province though. Furthermore, Section , R87 (2)(b) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations only speaks of intent "to reside in the province or territory that nominated" the immigrant.

You're a PR already. The mobility rights enshrined in Section 6.(2) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom applies to you. Just be ethical though. Make sure you have the means to prove the intent to reside in the nominating province in case this is brought up; e.g. when you apply for citizenship.

You might be confused with the rules for those who are seeking provincial nomination; i.e. yet to get their PR. For nomination purposes, I think only employers domiciled in the province may nominate a person, among other rules.

Reactions: moscatojuices

classico33

Jul 4, 2023
Hi holygrail15, have you contacted nominated province regarding this?
Hey all, in a similar spot - living, working from and paying taxes in my nominating province but my employer is incorporated in another province. Do I still qualify for the OINP program? I am not the only employee in the province but our work is remote and we do not have an office.

brijeshpatel

Sep 7, 2023
Hey all, in a similar spot - living, working from and paying taxes in my nominating province but my employer is incorporated in another province. Do I still qualify for the OINP program? I am not the only employee in the province but our work is remote and we do not have an office.
Hello, everyone!

Did you guys got PR yet by EE or OINP?

I work remotely from Ontario for a Quebec Company.
I was in ON from past 4 years as student and PGWP (10months left now).
I am in the same boat! Please let us know here any updates.

thanks!

Lokeeey

Dec 14, 2023
In the same boat. Did you find any solution to your query?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In the same boat. Did you find any solution to your query?
How did you get your WP? Closed? Do the majority of the employees live in a specific location? Was there Ever an office space? How large is the company! Do you ever gather in person?

sudichat

Jul 27, 2021
I also have a similar query. I am staying in province A (last 18 months) and working remotely. My company does not have any office at province A. However, I am paying tax for province A and my salary slip contains province A address. Now my question is that as I am paying tax for province A and contributing to the economy, am I eligible for the PNP program for province A? Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I also have a similar query. I am staying in province A (last 18 months) and working remotely. My company does not have any office at province A. However, I am paying tax for province A and my salary slip contains province A address. Now my question is that as I am paying tax for province A and contributing to the economy, am I eligible for the PNP program for province A? Thanks in advance.
Depends on the province and PNP program.