+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Religion an Issue?

npierce

Jun 25, 2007
Hi there-

Just want to thank everyone who has contributed to this site...it has been very helpful.

I have a question just because I am curious. Religion should not play into being accepted by Canada, right? My husband and I are going through the process and our lawyers asked us what religion we belonged to. Maybe they asked that because we had a civil ceremony? I am not sure, but I thought that religion should not be an issue...

For those of you who have had an interview, do they ask you what your religion is? Isn't is illegal to ask that? They can't discriminate against you because of that right?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

npierce said:
Hi there-

Just want to thank everyone who has contributed to this site...it has been very helpful.

I have a question just because I am curious. Religion should not play into being accepted by Canada, right? My husband and I are going through the process and our lawyers asked us what religion we belonged to. Maybe they asked that because we had a civil ceremony? I am not sure, but I thought that religion should not be an issue...

For those of you who have had an interview, do they ask you what your religion is? Isn't is illegal to ask that? They can't discriminate against you because of that right?
1. CIC may ask, especially in India, because your religion can reflect on the validity of the marriage under the Hindu Marriage act. Religion may in some other countries also reflect on the validity of the marriage. For examples in some Muslim countries the wifes conversion must be 3 months prior to the marriage. So they will and can ask if their are doubts about the marriages validity.

PMM