+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is processing time for asylum is different in each province?

Kabul786

Nov 26, 2020
Hi,
Is processing time for Asylum seeker and becoming PR is different in each province?
I mean Lets say Vancouver is faster than Ontario?
thanks

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi,
Is processing time for Asylum seeker and becoming PR is different in each province?
thanks
There are 3 offices for Asylum intake that process application from different locations, regions. For PR application, Processing Center is in Mississauga, Cards processing Center Sydney, NS. So the answer is simply NO.

https://irb.gc.ca/en/contact/Pages/contact3.aspx

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
thanks
Asylum and PR are federal programs not provincial. You should try to settle where you can afford to live and can find employment.

DamnYouDaria

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
Yukon
Category........
Other
Hi,
thanks
Let's divide this up into two separate processes, asylum and PR. These are handled by two separate agencies, the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) and Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) respectively. The IRB is the agency that determines whether or not you'll actually be determined to be a protected person in Canada and thus, eligible to move on to the next step. Your wait time with the IRB is determined based on several factors, most notably:
  1. Your region. The IRB has three regions, the Western region (which is headquartered in Vancouver and has satellite offices in Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg), the Central region (which is headquartered in Toronto) and the Eastern region (which is headquartered in Montréal). Each region has its own panels and case loads.
  2. The complexity of your case. Less complex cases can receive a decision pretty quickly, sometimes even without a hearing. More complex decisions take more time.
  3. Whether you need an appeal or not and to what extent. Appeals take more time. Appeals to the Federal Court take considerably more time, as your application needs to be reconsidered by the IRB to be successful, even if you win at the Federal Court.
  4. External circumstances. COVID-19 delayed a lot of cases.
In my case, I was in the Western region, required a hearing at my RPD case, lost my RPD case, appealed to the RAD and won. My case was delayed by COVID-19 and I submitted nearly 8,000 pages of evidence to substantiate my claim. This part of the process is very much a "Your Mileage May Vary" scenario. But, assuming you get a positive decision from the IRB (either the RPD or the RAD), you can move on to the next stage, which is the IRCC process to get PR.

The current wait time is, on average, 20 months. This can be more or less depending on the case load and the complexity of your application (i.e. how much work they have to do in order to process your application). Do yourself a favor, submit a complete application.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Let's divide this up into two separate processes, asylum and PR. These are handled by two separate agencies, the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) and Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) respectively. The IRB is the agency that determines whether or not you'll actually be determined to be a protected person in Canada and thus, eligible to move on to the next step. Your wait time with the IRB is determined based on several factors, most notably:
  1. Your region. The IRB has three regions, the Western region (which is headquartered in Vancouver and has satellite offices in Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg), the Central region (which is headquartered in Toronto) and the Eastern region (which is headquartered in Montréal). Each region has its own panels and case loads.
  2. The complexity of your case. Less complex cases can receive a decision pretty quickly, sometimes even without a hearing. More complex decisions take more time.
  3. Whether you need an appeal or not and to what extent. Appeals take more time. Appeals to the Federal Court take considerably more time, as your application needs to be reconsidered by the IRB to be successful, even if you win at the Federal Court.
  4. External circumstances. COVID-19 delayed a lot of cases.
In my case, I was in the Western region, required a hearing at my RPD case, lost my RPD case, appealed to the RAD and won. My case was delayed by COVID-19 and I submitted nearly 8,000 pages of evidence to substantiate my claim. This part of the process is very much a "Your Mileage May Vary" scenario. But, assuming you get a positive decision from the IRB (either the RPD or the RAD), you can move on to the next stage, which is the IRCC process to get PR.

The current wait time is, on average, 20 months. This can be more or less depending on the case load and the complexity of your application (i.e. how much work they have to do in order to process your application). Do yourself a favor, submit a complete application.
......and I submitted nearly 8,000 pages of evidence to substantiate my claim.

Do you mean 8,000 words or pages?

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
like you submitted evidences equal to the size of "12 books of Advanced Physics by Steve Adams"....Interesting case
It certainly is an interesting refugee decision from the remarkable posts made by this contributor. A successful claim against the USA - it is a stunning result and I must add that the quality of the comments offered generally about the processes are very well informed and concisely crafted by this obviously sophisticated individual.

I have seen a larger file than 8,000 pages - the leader of China said that he wished that he could execute the claimant twice. The claim was unsuccessful in the end he was removed from Canada.

I do recollect another positive claim from a US citizen (a reasonable decision to my mind, based upon a court decision down there) and the Federal lawyers here worked feverishly to have it successfully overturned. There were draft dodging cases when the Iraqi invasion and war continued but nada for any positive decisions which isn't a surprise.

So, wonders never cease and kudos to the amassing of what must have been definitive evidence of persecution without any avenue for an internal flight alternative. That's mighty good lawyerin'.

Nyathira

Star Member
Nov 17, 2022
Category........
Other
How do I also submit so much evidence with the amount of space provided, On the online submission space provided (2mb} on online application i was unable to submit all my evidence.

sohaib1

Champion Member
Jan 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2015
Doc's Request.
13-10-2015 (Urdu Nikah Nama)
AOR Received.
02-04-2015
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
PreDone 20-01-2015
Passport Req..
11-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2015
LANDED..........
10-12-2015
How do I also submit so much evidence with the amount of space provided, On the online submission space provided (2mb} on online application i was unable to submit all my evidence.
You put everything in a word document then save it as a evidence file if that file size is too big then reduce the file size there are lots of online tools available to lower the size but it does drop the quality so be careful