+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is outland still faster than inland?

kroovy

Apr 18, 2013
With the closure of the Buffalo office as well as these strikes, will Outland applications still be recommended over inland applications? I am US citizen and my Canadian born wife will be sponsoring me. We will be applying at the end of this month.

The only reason I am considering inland is because I have the option to receive the open work permit. I am currently working in Montreal on a Working Holiday Visa which expires in December. I need to keep this job, and I am sure I can keep it if I tell my employer I will only be unable to work for 2-3 months after December, which with the inland timeline I should receive the OWP around then. Do you think If I do outland I have a chance to receive my PR around the same time I would receive my OWP if I did inland?

What do you guys think?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
kroovy said:
With the closure of the Buffalo office as well as these strikes, will Outland applications still be recommended over inland applications? I am US citizen and my Canadian born wife will be sponsoring me. We will be applying at the end of this month.

The only reason I am considering inland is because I have the option to receive the open work permit. I am currently working in Montreal on a Working Holiday Visa which expires in December. I need to keep this job, and I am sure I can keep it if I tell my employer I will only be unable to work for 2-3 months after December, which with the inland timeline I should receive the OWP around then. Do you think If I do outland I have a chance to receive my PR around the same time I would receive my OWP if I did inland?

What do you guys think?
Inland and Outland currently post the same overall time (6 months + 8 months for inland, 1 month+13 months for outland). Note that the "6 months" means that CIC has been working on 8 October 2012 inland applications for the past two months. Inland applications are not impacted by the labour action (in theory), while Outland applications are.

It is more likely you will receive AIP (inland) than your PR (outland) but that's not guaranteed. Some people do get their outland PR quickly.

kroovy

Apr 18, 2013
Thank you for the response. Somewhat related question: Do I have implied status once my open work permit ends? If so, does that implied status still allow me to work?

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 4, 2013 & February 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
in Calgary since March 29, 2012. Landed as PR May 3, 2014
IEC visa are not extendable that means you cannot work between your expired Working Holiday and your approved OPW. But you have to stay in the country