Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
21-09-2015
Friends,

Do junior software engineers need a license in order to apply for OOPNP?

Greatly appreciate your comments!

rajanvnv

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hamoonExpressEntry said:
Friends,

Do junior software engineers need a license in order to apply for OOPNP?

Greatly appreciate your comments!
No, you don't require

hamoonExpressEntry

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
21-09-2015
rajanvnv,

Thanks a lot!

NOC 2173 seems to be a regulated job in Ontario though. I am really confused. The opportunities ontario did not mention anything about software engineering, but the job bank clearly states that NOC 2173 is regulated in Ontario. However, I truly hope, that it is exactly as you said, because I already sent my OOPNP application. I send opportunities ontario an email.

Rahman2015

Star Member
Jun 4, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2015
Nomination.....
02-09-2016
In Job Bank it shows that NOC 2173 is regulated in all regions .

Google :noc 2173-a job bank requirements

rajanvnv

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hamoonExpressEntry said:
rajanvnv,

Thanks a lot!

NOC 2173 seems to be a regulated job in Ontario though. I am really confused. The opportunities ontario did not mention anything about software engineering, but the job bank clearly states that NOC 2173 is regulated in Ontario. However, I truly hope, that it is exactly as you said, because I already sent my OOPNP application. I send opportunities ontario an email.
The NOC 2173 itself isn't regulated. Some professions that belong to NOC 2173 are regulated in Canada. If you have a job offer/intend to work in such regulated professions then you would need license otherwise you do not. Hope it makes sense now.

hamoonExpressEntry

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
21-09-2015
Here is what job bank is saying about NOC 2173:

"Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.)"

So basically if you don't claim professional engineering, design, or report and your contract does not infer them you don't need a license. In other words a software engineer who is mostly a software programmer does not need to have P.Eng.

Is that what you mean rajanvn?

But I wished I had said in my application NOC 2174 instead of NOC 2173. Because the former does not have any ambiguities: It is not regulated in any province!

Thanks

kakhileshreddy

Jan 6, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
CELPIP-spouse-sept 23- same day submitted
AOR Received.
sept 14
Med's Request
sept 24-passed/recv'd
Med's Done....
sept 24
Passport Req..
FEB 24
is 2172 regulated in ontario ??

rajanvnv

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hamoonExpressEntry said:
Here is what job bank is saying about NOC 2173:
"Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.)"
So basically if you don't claim professional engineering, design, or report and your contract does not infer them you don't need a license. In other words a software engineer who is mostly a software programmer does not need to have P.Eng.
Is that what you mean rajanvn?
But I wished I had said in my application NOC 2174 instead of NOC 2173. Because the former does not have any ambiguities: It is not regulated in any province!
Thanks
I have myself applied in NOC 2173 and I am sure they will not reject the application because you don't possess a license. I have already got clarification on this. If at all, there is an rejection, it could possibly be because of other reasons and not because of license.

hamoonExpressEntry

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
21-09-2015
You don't know how relieved I am after reading you had clarification on this. Thanks a bunch my friend! plus 1 for you!

krishvasireddy

May 15, 2015
Hi Rajanv,

I have opened another thread similar to this, but in any case there looks some ambiguity in 2173 , in my case my current job designation is Software Engineering Team Lead and not sure what impact this has if I say I don't belong to this later. I suspect we shouldn't accept or use Engineer in the profession we accept or do in Ontario.

Do you have any idea what the impact it has, if I change my NOC code from 2173 to 2171 right before I apply for OOPNP after I got PT.

Thanks,
Krishna

rajanvnv

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hamoonExpressEntry said:
You don't know how relieved I am after reading you had clarification on this. Thanks a bunch my friend! plus 1 for you!
harmoonexpressentry,

I have received the application acknowledgement from oopnp for the application that I submitted on 6/16. I was earlier mentioning to you that 2173 as a NOC itself is not regulated and in-fact I applied on the same NOC and I have heard back from them. I did not submit any license and do not have any clue on it.

hamoonExpressEntry

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
21-09-2015
rajanvnv,

Thanks so much for your kind update. This is very promising. I sent OO an email about the issue, but have not heard anything back yet. I'll let you as soon as I get a response from them. P. Eng. website clearly states that using the term engineer without license is an offence (and it seems to be a very serious offence base on what they were saying), and unfortunately I said I am a software engineer in my application. I don't want to be negative but it is a confusing situation.

hamoonExpressEntry

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
21-09-2015
To anyone who is concerned whether software engineering NOC 2173 is regulated or not read on:

I sent an email to OOPNP a few weeks ago explaining that I indicated my job as NOC2173 but I don't have a license. I asked whether I should change my NOC to 2174?

They came back to me today and said:

"Thank you for your email and clarification.
Since you do not use Professional Engineer title in your work, we do not require a license. There is no need to update your original NOC solely due to license issue, either, unless you have other compelling reasons to do so."

rajanvnv

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hamoonExpressEntry said:
To anyone who is concerned whether software engineering NOC 2173 is regulated or not read on:

I sent an email to OOPNP a few weeks ago explaining that I indicated my job as NOC2173 but I don't have a license. I asked whether I should change my NOC to 2174?

They came back to me today and said:

"Thank you for your email and clarification.
Since you do not use Professional Engineer title in your work, we do not require a license. There is no need to update your original NOC solely due to license issue, either, unless you have other compelling reasons to do so."
Thanks for getting the clarification and reassuring it.

hamoonExpressEntry

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
21-09-2015
No problem rajanvnv. Thank you for your clarifying reply in the beginning of the thread.