+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is my child a Canadian Citizen?

MTLQUEBEC

May 31, 2012
Hello

I have read the answers to this question on this site and on CIC's website. However I would just like someone to please clarify as I am getting conflicting answers from friends.

I sponsored my wife and during this time she became pregnant. She has not received her immigration yet. We are expecting our first child this November.

I immigrated to Canada at the age of 10 and after couple of months later obtained Citizenship through my father. What I mean is that my father obtained citizenship and since I was under 18, I also became a citizen.

So the question is, am I considered a naturalized citizen? Furthermore, will my child be a Canadian citizen according to the "Changes to citizenship rules as of April 2009" http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules_2009.asp

Thank you.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
hey,

you could try taking the test on CIC website on behalf of your child to see if he qualifies. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules/
If your child will be born in Canada, he is canadian no matter what.
Sweden

MTLQUEBEC

May 31, 2012
Sweden said:
hey,

you could try taking the test on CIC website on behalf of your child to see if he qualifies. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules/
If your child will be born in Canada, he is canadian no matter what.
Sweden
Thanks Sweden. I have taken that test but the last question is vague specially the following line :

Granted Canadian citizenship means that a person applied for citizenship and their application was approved and then they took the oath of citizenship, if required to (also called naturalization). Example: a person immigrates to Canada as an adult and becomes a permanent resident and then after residing in Canada for three years applies for and is granted citizenship.

The "applied for citizenship" part bothers me. I didn't apply as I obtained it automatically.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
I would say, because your father applied and was granted citizenship, the same applies to you. You were still under his authority as you were too young to do the process on your own, but I'm pretty sure that in that case he applied for citizenship on your behalf, so it applies to you.
At least that's my understanding of it.
Sweden

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Sweden is right, as usual ;)

You are a naturalized citizen and therefore your child is a citizen.

CIC's wording isn't always very clear; to be considered as having obtained citizenship through your father, you would need to be a citizen by birth, ie. if your dad was already Canadian before you were born and passed the citizenship to you.

Becoming a Canadian in any other way besides by birth is naturalization.