+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Memorial MBA best in terms of postgraduate work opportunity for an international student?

xion_009

Jul 23, 2019
Memorial University of Newfoundland.

I prefer Memorial because of low cost and 2 years MBA program which will give me 3 years postgraduate work permit. However I heard that there is less opportunities for jobs in St.John's. Also it is not a top university. But my question is it is top university in the Newfoundland province. My plan is to stay in Newfoundland for 3-4 years after graduation then move to Toronto/Calgary or major cities. With the experience of 3-4 years post MBA I think I can get a job in major cities. What do you think?

I am bringing my wife with me so it will be very difficult for me to do MBAs in other major cities with the high cost of tuition+living. I know one shouldn't cheap out on MBAs but do you think a brand name will be forever in advantage even if you have good work experience with lower brand name MBA?

Also are there top companies branch offices located in St.John's? I saw Deloitte having an office there. So don't they prioritize MUN MBA grads over there?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I actually thought MUN was the only university in Newfoundland but apparently there is another one. Would still consider MUN the only university in Newfoundland. When it comes to MBA the best schools lead to the best jobs offers. St John’s is pretty small and remote so no most major companies don’t have outposts in Newfoundland. It is a beautiful place with lovely people with brutal weather but you pay less for a reason. MBAs are very common these days so any MBA doesn’t open doors to the best a biggest companies. Newfoundland has a hard enough employing their existing population so not sure how tough it will be to get a job as foreigner. Would point out that Newfoundland is far better than it was 15-20+ years ago but most of the island was working in Alberta during the boom time.

Just so you are aware your wife is not guaranteed a visa or permit. She is allowed to apply but spouses of internal students are not guaranteed permits/visas.