+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is medical insurance proof asked for on entry ?

ayesha_llk2

Aug 11, 2020
I have medical insurance from 1 September from my university, but I dont have any from 12 August (when i land) to 1 september. I have been trying to get a hold of insurance companies that provide this but havent had luck

do they check for medical insurance proof on port of entry ?

Reactions: wonderbly

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I am in the same boat. I don't think they ask at the border cos I have asked around in different groups. My uni did say it's good to have one just to be safe. I got a few quotes but the cost (for my whole family) is a bit high for something we won't necessarily need..

ayesha_llk2

Aug 11, 2020
I am in the same boat. I don't think they ask at the border cos I have asked around in different groups. My uni did say it's good to have one just to be safe. I got a few quotes but the cost (for my whole family) is a bit high for something we won't necessarily need..
thats what I am thinking. its only 20 days or so and chances Ill need it are not high. I am only really concerned with the border entry

Br33zer

Mar 18, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
They don't ask about medical insurance at Immigration. But you will be doing this at your own risk. Risk of getting hospitalized at your own expenses if god forbid, something happens.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
They don't ask about medical insurance at Immigration. But you will be doing this at your own risk. Risk of getting hospitalized at your own expenses if god forbid, something happens.
Yeah, that risk is what's making me fidget. In my case, it will be 11 days - all of which I will be in quarantine anyway :).

Br33zer

Mar 18, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
If I were you, I'd take the cheapest ones available just in case. Might consider minimum coverage too. But yes, we will be quarantining anyways.

Reactions: wonderbly

Br33zer

Mar 18, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Something is better than nothing. I know you'll be locked inside for 11 days but it's always better to at least opt for the cheapest insurance available. And yes in emergency you'd end up paying less 50k.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Something is better than nothing. I know you'll be locked inside for 11 days but it's always better to at least opt for the cheapest insurance available. And yes in emergency you'd end up paying less 50k.
I got a quote from Destination Canada for my family of 6, for 21 days cover ($50,000) for $94, with $0.00 deductible. I went ahead and bought that :).
Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: Br33zer