+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is marriage certificate required for a divorced applicant in Express entry?

vineetb

Jul 7, 2021
I'm divorced and the document checklist is asking me to provide my divorce certificate.
Do I also need to provide the marriage certificate of that relationship?

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
I'm divorced and the document checklist is asking me to provide my divorce certificate.
No just divorce papers. You can't divorce someone if you didn't marry them so marriage certificate is irrelevant

vineetb

Jul 7, 2021
Appreciate your response, but going by this logic, birth certificate should also not be required coz I'm obviously born, nor should be high school certificate, if I've provided my bachelor's degree.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Appreciate your response, but going by this logic, birth certificate should also not be required coz I'm obviously born, nor should be high school certificate, if I've provided my bachelor's degree.
Yep and birth certificate is not a required document. Even high school certificate is not a required document if you are submitting ECA for bachelors degree.

Ultraxion

May 10, 2022
lol birth certificate is important cuz it shows where you were born and who were your parents at the time you were born.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
I would recommend go for both. Why to hold back if you have and moreover officer needs to have a little excuse to hold the file back and put it on pending stack, why to give that opportunity? I would say the more the better. Its like the officer will not be able to send you an ADR how hard they try.
Usually people are like oh lets wait for them to request for a doc and then its a deadline and they will ask around is there a way to get this doc quickly I am reaching my deadline in a couple of days or so. Hey why didn't you put them all together when you started your application?

Adamnor

Jun 28, 2023
I am applying as a divorced applicant in the profile asks me about the family members who should I include there.