+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it worth it?

scottyxx

Sep 14, 2011
Hi all.

I have been working in Canada on an AIESEC internship, Costing me around $500 total. Once I started this job I decided I wanted to stay in Canada, and so worked my ass off to get the open work permit through BUNAC. Costing me around $500 again. I have struggled and struggled, and it is taking its toll on me, I feel depressed and its all just not good.

I am a UK Citizen. I have two Masters degrees in Engineering and Computer Science. I have 2 years of work experience at 35 hours per week - NOT 37 1/2hours per week.

Right now it seems there is no actual way for me to emigrate here? Is there? I dont meet CEC, I don't have a Canadian to marry, I don't have any family here, I dont have a "desired occupation", and no company is willing to fill in LMO for me.

I took the IELTS, another $300 and got an 8.5.

Basically, I want to know for anyone who has come over to Canada, is it even worth all this trouble? Is it worth the constant stress, or being constantly told you cannot speak English, or being laughed at because you are different? I just feel like the price is too high, like trying to find the extra 2 months of work I need to make enough hours for CEC without any type of open work permit option will be impossible.

Anyone got any experiences to share?

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think its worth it since you like it here and you have already gone far in the process. Just keep trying and talk to people.

AH

Mar 7, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think once you pass this time and get the PR you work life will be much better...since you have degree in computers. There are a lot of good options will open up for you.

scottyxx

Sep 14, 2011
But I don't even meet the requirements for PR, I dont know what my options are.. I am only a few hundred hours short.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
scottyxx said:
Hi all.

I am a UK Citizen. I have two Masters degrees in Engineering and Computer Science. I have 2 years of work experience at 35 hours per week - NOT 37 1/2hours per week.

You should have employers knocking at your door with those qualifications. What is their problem; do you have an idea?

Right now it seems there is no actual way for me to emigrate here? Is there? I dont meet CEC, I don't have a Canadian to marry, I don't have any family here, I dont have a "desired occupation", and no company is willing to fill in LMO for me.

Is engineering not a "desired occupation"? I am unfamiliar with the rules governing this type of visa.

Pardon my ignorance, but if you are a native Brit, birthplace of English (well, except for Cockney) why do you need to take an IELTS test
?

Basically, I want to know for anyone who has come over to Canada, is it even worth all this trouble? Is it worth the constant stress, or being constantly told you cannot speak English, or being laughed at because you are different?

How can anyone mock your English if you passed the IELTS test? Canada reveres its hockey players, yet most of them cannot put together a decent sentence. Perhaps if you described a few experiences we'd have a better understanding of what the problem is.

And how are you different? Are you being singled out because you chose to stay in a small logging town, where cosmopolitan values might be in short supply? Again, if we knew more about the problem we might be able to suggest creative solutions. But yes, at the end of the day, if life in Canada is unpleasant for you, why bother? Life is not so bad in the UK, is it?

I just feel like the price is too high, like trying to find the extra 2 months of work I need to make enough hours for CEC without any type of open work permit option will be impossible.

Rememo123

Mar 11, 2012
Is there any difference if you applying for a IEC visa by yourself or is it better to apply through a organisation like BUNAC?

Say you put BUNAC down as the recognised organisation on the application form for the IEC Visa but then decide not to go through them what would happen? Can you just enter Canada without going through them as the Visa has to get approved before going through BUNAC anyway...

scottyxx

Sep 14, 2011
Rememo123 said:
Is there any difference if you applying for a IEC visa by yourself or is it better to apply through a organisation like BUNAC?

Say you put BUNAC down as the recognised organisation on the application form for the IEC Visa but then decide not to go through them what would happen? Can you just enter Canada without going through them as the Visa has to get approved before going through BUNAC anyway...
Well BUNAC Charge you. And they issue you a letter which you have to apply with. Originally, when it went to Paris, they guaranteed you a place if you met their requirements. They didn't do this this year, so I applied on my own. You have to apply for BUNAC then IEC not the other way arround.

scottyxx

Sep 14, 2011
toby said:
Hi all.

You should have employers knocking at your door with those qualifications. What is their problem; do you have an idea?

Nope no one wants to fill in an LMO. Ive been offered multiple jobs until someone finds out I need sponsorship, then they tell me they dont want me.

Is engineering not a "desired occupation"? I am unfamiliar with the rules governing this type of visa.
Nope! It isnt.

Pardon my ignorance, but if you are a native Brit, birthplace of English (well, except for Cockney) why do you need to take an IELTS test?
EVERYONE has to take it. Such a Money grab.

Basically, I want to know for anyone who has come over to Canada, is it even worth all this trouble? Is it worth the constant stress, or being constantly told you cannot speak English, or being laughed at because you are different?

How can anyone mock your English if you passed the IELTS test? Canada reveres its hockey players, yet most of them cannot put together a decent sentence. Perhaps if you described a few experiences we'd have a better understanding of what the problem is.

They laugh at my accent and tell me of course I need to sit and IELTS because English is my second language. They constantly ask me what, I don't understand and it makes me very self conscious so much I wont go out for dinner anymore because they make such a big deal when I order.

And how are you different? Are you being singled out because you chose to stay in a small logging town, where cosmopolitan values might be in short supply? Again, if we knew more about the problem we might be able to suggest creative solutions. But yes, at the end of the day, if life in Canada is unpleasant for you, why bother? Life is not so bad in the UK, is it?
Thats what Im thinking!

I just feel like the price is too high, like trying to find the extra 2 months of work I need to make enough hours for CEC without any type of open work permit option will be impossible.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I understand being laughed at can make anyone self-conscious but isolating yourself won't make you feel better. Instead, just be yourself and remain proud of being English. :D Sometimes people mock what they secretly wish they had or could do. It stems from insecurity. I've had people make comments about my accent and I tell them I've had to learn to understand them and so should they. Or when they say, "you have an accent", I reply with the same phrase and then there is silence. Speak up when you are uncomfortable and if the behavior persists, then those are not people you need in your life. As well, that is bigotry and I believe there are laws against that.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
SenoritaBella said:
I understand being laughed at can make anyone self-conscious but isolating yourself won't make you feel better. Instead, just be yourself and remain proud of being English. :D Sometimes people mock what they secretly wish they had or could do. It stems from insecurity. I've had people make comments about my accent and I tell them I've had to learn to understand them and so should they. Or when they say, "you have an accent", I reply with the same phrase and then there is silence. Speak up when you are uncomfortable and if the behavior persists, then those are not people you need in your life. As well, that is bigotry and I believe there are laws against that.
Whenever I detect a foreign accent in someone's English, I ask where they are from, because I am genuinely curious. I thought that Canadians like foreign accents, because it makes the foreigner's English sound more exotic. At least that was the prevailing opinion among my friends when I was in Canada.

You seem to be saying the opposite: that Canadians are biased against a foreign accent. This is a much less favourable view of Canadians.

I suspect you need to upgrade your friends, from narrow-minded people to those who appreciate new horizons, new influences, including people from overseas.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
You seem to have so many opinions for someone who doesn't know me or my friends. Did you read Scotty's posts at all? Perhaps I could suggest more effort on your part to read and understand the context in which that comment was made before rushing to judgement.

It is difficult to understand a different accent, but you don't need to belittle or mock someone for being "different". Asking about it with genuine curiosity is OK, but that's not what is happening with Scotty. They know he is English and mock him for it which is not right. After working with people for years or interacting with them often, saying their accent is difficult to understand is a lazy excuse. That person has made an effort to understand you too and so should you.

toby said:
Whenever I detect a foreign accent in someone's English, I ask where they are from, because I am genuinely curious. I thought that Canadians like foreign accents, because it makes the foreigner's English sound more exotic. At least that was the prevailing opinion among my friends when I was in Canada.

You seem to be saying the opposite: that Canadians are biased against a foreign accent. This is a much less favourable view of Canadians.

I suspect you need to upgrade your friends, from narrow-minded people to those who appreciate new horizons, new influences, including people from overseas.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
I've not been clear, I guess. Or else you have not been reading as carefully as you caution me to do.

I was trying to support scottyxx by saying (in an earlier post) that his work credentials seemed pretty impressive; I was trying to be positive, not critical. Did you read that post? Where do you think I rushed to make negative judgments? Please be specific.

And in the post of mine that you quote, I was trying to say that not all Canadians are biased against foreigners and foreign accents, that some Canadians find foreign accents to be quite pleasant and intriguing. Again, my intent was to be positive.

So -- if you don't mind taking the time -- please show me specifically the words I used that made you think I was criticizing you. Sometimes the written word gets misinterpreted, and I'd like to get better at avoiding misinterpretations.

Did I criticize your friends? Only if you believe that they tend to mock foreigners. I did say that people (including Canadians) who mock people for simply being foreign, who make fun of foreign accents, are not sort of people I want to be friends with. You evidently made the connection with your friends, and concluded that I was criticizing them directly. Sorry: I overstepped the line. If I could say it again, differently, I'd just say that I prefer to avoid such people, reassure scottyxx that not all Canadians are bigoted, and leave it at that -- letting you make your own choice of friends.

SenoritaBella said:
You seem to have so many opinions for someone who doesn't know me or my friends. Did you read Scotty's posts at all? Perhaps I could suggest more effort on your part to read and understand the context in which that comment was made before rushing to judgement.

It is difficult to understand a different accent, but you don't need to belittle or mock someone for being "different". Asking about it with genuine curiosity is OK, but that's not what is happening with Scotty. They know he is English and mock him for it which is not right. After working with people for years or interacting with them often, saying their accent is difficult to understand is a lazy excuse. That person has made an effort to understand you too and so should you.

bluecamas

Feb 13, 2012
Minister Kenney has been quite the activist minister of Immigration. He does seem to "get it" He used the phrase "Stop the Madness" It is well past time we have a more streamlined system. It will be more in the hands of the employer then government. I got caught in the family spouse sponsorship madness and look forward to the new laws and want us to be processed under those new "make sense " laws. I can well understand your frustration about is it worth it. Canada, when the old ways put people through misery like you have gone through.
I am a 4th generation Canadian who suffered from racism via the Delhi Embassy. I am white blonde etc. So born in Canada citizens get smacked by racism too. We need people like you here and lots more. Kenney and crew are looking to stop the madness. I have heard lots of horror stories of people who just want to make a life here.
As long as people are working, doing nothing illegal and immigrants are given neither special rights or less rights then born in Canada citizens who have worked to build the foundation of this country. Let people just live their lives without the uncertainity and stress all these tedious unneeded processes cause. So a wish..indeed the madness does finally end.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
bluecamas said:
Minister Kenney has been quite the activist minister of Immigration. He does seem to "get it" He used the phrase "Stop the Madness" It is well past time we have a more streamlined system. I
Are there more legislative proposals to streamline the system that I haven't heard about? Where can I go to read about them, please?

Ayinka

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
U.S.
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 8th 2012
AOR Received.
3/16/12
Med's Request
3/16/12
Med's Done....
3/21/12- in process since May 3rd 2012
toby said:
I've not been clear, I guess. Or else you have not been reading as carefully as you caution me to do.

I was trying to support scottyxx by saying (in an earlier post) that his work credentials seemed pretty impressive; I was trying to be positive, not critical. Did you read that post? Where do you think I rushed to make negative judgments? Please be specific.

And in the post of mine that you quote, I was trying to say that not all Canadians are biased against foreigners and foreign accents, that some Canadians find foreign accents to be quite pleasant and intriguing. Again, my intent was to be positive.

So -- if you don't mind taking the time -- please show me specifically the words I used that made you think I was criticizing you. Sometimes the written word gets misinterpreted, and I'd like to get better at avoiding misinterpretations.

Did I criticize your friends? Only if you believe that they tend to mock foreigners. I did say that people (including Canadians) who mock people for simply being foreign, who make fun of foreign accents, are not sort of people I want to be friends with. You evidently made the connection with your friends, and concluded that I was criticizing them directly. Sorry: I overstepped the line. If I could say it again, differently, I'd just say that I prefer to avoid such people, reassure scottyxx that not all Canadians are bigoted, and leave it at that -- letting you make your own choice of friends.

Guys, guys...this is not about you. Let's focus back on the question at hand here. Toby you were misunderstood. Let's move on.

Scottyxx-No matter where you go, outside of your native land, you will be brushing shoulders with narrow-minded, insecure individuals. I advise you to stay strong and stand up to these people. I am quite proud of my accent...speaks directly to my roots and where I come from (and believe me, mine is probably 100 times more difficult to understand than yours :p). If/when people don't understand me, I have no problem repeating myself if they ask nicely (most are curious and will ask about where I'm from and I'm pleased to share my experiences) but I've had people laugh or try to, I shut them down very quickly by telling them how inapropritate and ignorant they are.

When it comes to your immigration dilemna, this process is quite lengthy, stressfull and costly...no way around that. Again, I'm not familiar with your case but have you looked into PNP programs? Look really hard at your reasons for wanting to move to Canada, if those reasons are worth the stress and waiting, then buckle up and try all avenues. Good luck to you.