+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it wise to purchase property?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
That is exactly my point. How can someone who just moved here know what they want (i.e, which neighborhood is best suited for them, which schools are better for their kids, which locations are best for transit routes, etc.)? That's why I recommended they rent for a period of time until they figure out the city. However, you maintained that they should buy immediately, and they can sort it all out later by selling it if they didn't like it. you sound just like a self-serving real estate agent.

As for making a return, look at what's happening to housing prices in Alberta right now. The only return to be made in the near term is a negative one.
But if you look at the recent multi-year low of the Canadian dollar, perhaps now is the right time to buy a house (especially if they are moving directly from a foreign country). They might gain a positive return when they sell later (if converted to their native currency).

Also, there are various indicative information for people to judge whether it is suitable for them to move - if we are talking about better schools for their kids, we can look at the school reports at fraser institute; if we are looking for transit routes, we can look at the webpages of ttc, translink, calgary transit, etc. Although I'm not a real estate agent, I still suggest to buy immediately and sort it out later by selling or renting if they have other plans.

As ALRIVAS had recommended, one can hire a realtor as that will help the person to have a better experience also they can show them what the best place is for the person according with their criteria.

ALRIVAS

Star Member
May 8, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
10-12-1994
Hi guys as I said before I'm Realtor since 2002 that's provably way before you came to the country.
I like to share this link from TREB so you understand more about the market.
Please look at it and share your opinion based on facts.

http://www.torontorealestateboard.com/market_news/market_watch/historic_stats/pdf/Historic_1412.pdf

http://www.torontorealestateboard.com/market_news/market_watch/2014/mw1412.pdf

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
steaky said:
But if you look at the recent multi-year low of the Canadian dollar, perhaps now is the right time to buy a house (especially if they are moving directly from a foreign country). They might gain a positive return when they sell later (if converted to their native currency).

Also, there are various indicative information for people to judge whether it is suitable for them to move - if we are talking about better schools for their kids, we can look at the school reports at fraser institute; if we are looking for transit routes, we can look at the webpages of ttc, translink, calgary transit, etc. Although I'm not a real estate agent, I still suggest to buy immediately and sort it out later by selling or renting if they have other plans.

As ALRIVAS had recommended, one can hire a realtor as that will help the person to have a better experience also they can show them what the best place is for the person according with their criteria.
There are many reports that the house prices will drop in Calgary by as much as 10% in the next 6 month. (However nobody will know exactly what would happen). But better to take an informed decision.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AlexRox said:
There are many reports that the house prices will drop in Calgary by as much as 10% in the next 6 month. (However nobody will know exactly what would happen). But better to take an informed decision.
That's Calgary and OP wish to know Edmonton. As for Vancouver, some reports said housing prices will go up 4% this year. (but again nobody will know exactly what would happen).

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
I completely agree. I think doing otherwise is completely illogical and a bad financial decision.
I completely disagree. Doing so is completely logic and good financial decision especially if invest long term.

maplelove

Jun 11, 2012
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-10-2013 send, received by AINP 11-11-2013
Nomination.....
January 13,2014
AOR Received.
March 6, 2014
IELTS Request
None
Med's Request
March 6, 2014
Med's Done....
April 2, 2014
Interview........
in process: August 1, 2014
Passport Req..
Nov. 7, 2014
LANDED..........
Nov. 28, 2014
I won't immediately buy a property too if I am new in a certain place. Even if I'm from other province or country moving to either Edmonton or Calgary.
I would still agree to rent first for maybe six months or few months to keep track AB housing industry nowadays.
I for one wanted to buy a house ever since I got PR status but for now I'm glad that I forego it.
I'm from Edmonton and for the month of Jan alone there is a two-digit growth of new listings compared to Jan of 2014. And I think I will still monitor the housing industry for the next 6 months before I'll buy.

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
steaky said:
But if you look at the recent multi-year low of the Canadian dollar, perhaps now is the right time to buy a house (especially if they are moving directly from a foreign country). They might gain a positive return when they sell later (if converted to their native currency). .
This doesn't make sense to me, if the house prices are likely to drop. If someone wants to make more money in their native currency like that, it would be way more profitable to do Forex or just invest in CAD in more bullish market and later convert it.

bharat999

Mar 5, 2014
Hey thank you all so much for your kind advice. much appreciated - i feel with the current trend it is best to wait out...and purchase in the right area at the right time unless opportunity knocks... ;D

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
AlexRox said:
This doesn't make sense to me, if the house prices are likely to drop. If someone wants to make more money in their native currency like that, it would be way more profitable to do Forex or just invest in CAD in more bullish market and later convert it.
Exactly. Make money on the exchange rate now and stay out of the housing market. With the recent drop in interest rates bidding wars in the GTA (and other popular centres) are going to increase further and prices are going to be pushed higher (already starting to see the start of this in my neighbourhood). Rent for now and then when the interest rates rise, get into the market.

I'm already a home owner in downtown Toronto. But if I wasn't -the above is what I'd seriously consider doing.

My husband and I are currently taking advantage of the low CAD to move money up from the US and pay off the majority of what remains of our mortgage.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bharat999 said:
Hey thank you all so much for your kind advice. much appreciated - i feel with the current trend it is best to wait out...and purchase in the right area at the right time unless opportunity knocks... ;D
Ultimately it is a personal choice. Good luck to you.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
ALRIVAS said:
Hi guys as I said before I'm Realtor since 2002 that's provably way before you came to the country.
I like to share this link from TREB so you understand more about the market.
Please look at it and share your opinion based on facts.

http://www.torontorealestateboard.com/market_news/market_watch/historic_stats/pdf/Historic_1412.pdf

http://www.torontorealestateboard.com/market_news/market_watch/2014/mw1412.pdf
I've been in Canada since well before you became a realtor. Moreover, I've been in the investment game long enough to know not to trust fluff reports from the TREB that are obviously biased, and whose numbers fluctuate on an ongoing basis (i.e., check out the revisions to the same stats for the same period and you will see that the picture isn't nearly as rosy as they make it out to seem). But then, without such pieces pushing your agenda, there obviously wouldn't be enough business for agents.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
steaky said:
I completely disagree. Doing so is completely logic and good financial decision especially if invest long term.
Do you have any reasons to support your views at all? If so, I'd like to hear them. From my perspective, if you look at the current market conditions, buying is: (i) substantially more expensive than renting (i.e., interest and tax costs are greater than the rent amount, and as a result, you are NOT building any equity); (ii) substantially riskier, as prices are already declining and are forecast to continue to do so; and (iii) less profitable, as the opportunity cost of not investing your down payment is significant given that the equity markets are offering significantly greater returns than real estate is yielding. Now your turn.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
Do you have any reasons to support your views at all? If so, I'd like to hear them. From my perspective, if you look at the current market conditions, buying is: (i) substantially more expensive than renting (i.e., interest and tax costs are greater than the rent amount, and as a result, you are NOT building any equity); (ii) substantially riskier, as prices are already declining and are forecast to continue to do so; and (iii) less profitable, as the opportunity cost of not investing your down payment is significant given that the equity markets are offering significantly greater returns than real estate is yielding. Now your turn.
Hey torontosm, don't just emphasis the current market conditions.

Since in the other post, you said you have been living in Canada (only in Toronto?) before 2002, then give us some idea what the property market was like in the late 1990s compare to now. I know in Vancouver, property prices had been rose substantially at least for the past fifteen years. Also, you said prices are already declining and forecast to continue to do so - Like I mentioned earlier, some reports had said the prices may go up 4% this year and in my recent realtors.ca search, I don't see prices are declining - maybe Toronto? I'm still not sure about this because previously scylla said there were bidding wars in GTA and prices are going to push higher - I'm confused about the property market in GTA right now - one said property prices is declining while the other said it's going to push higher..

On the other post, you said you don't trust reports from TREB that are obviously biased and whose number fluctuate on an ongoing basis. But the fact is market conditions in equity and property fluctuates also.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
steaky said:
I don't see prices are declining - maybe Toronto? I'm still not sure about this because previously scylla said there were bidding wars in GTA and prices are going to push higher - I'm confused about the property market in GTA right now - one said property prices is declining while the other said it's going to push higher..
I think it depends where you are and what you are selling in Toronto. I wouldn't expect a bidding war for a condo - totally different story for a house in the downtown core. I thought we paid a stupid amount for our small house a few years ago (and it was stupid) - but it's gotten significantly worse since (e.g. $700K for a tiny lot with a dilapidated house that has to be completely torn down). I do believe the prices will at some point level off and then drop - but not before the interest rate increases (not sure I agree with the interest rate drop but I'm obviously not in charge). When you look at downtown, there are still plenty of condos going up to meet new demand. But you can't manufacture land on which to build new downtown houses. What's there is there and it seems demand exceed availability. But again, I think this will shift once interest rates move. Of course the only question is when. :)