+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it well worth to go to Canada to pick up renewed card?

anna2200

Mar 20, 2018
Hello.
I have visa exempt country passport and live in U.S.A. with my Canadian husband. Before my PR card expired last year, I applied for my PR card (second time) renewal and got a letter from IRCC telling me to come to Canada to pick it up. But I couldn't make it because I was working full time and just got back from Canada visiting family. And I just got final interview notice schedule in 3 weeks. I don't know if I should try really hard to pick up the card. What I understand is I can get my PR card renewed anytime as long as I live with my Canadian spouse since I meet residency requirement. It's very hard to make the final appointment with my current situation, so I am thinking of not going there this time, either.

We are planning to move back to Canada in a few years, so I am thinking of applying renewal right before or after I move back to Canada. Does it sound like a good plan?

In case I need to visit family in Canada with my expired PR card and my visa exempt country passport, I might have some trouble? Should I apply for PR card renewal right before the trip to be safe or I should be fine anyway? In case I get questioned, what documents should I bring with me? Marriage certificate, landing paper, my husband's Canadian passport copy, proof of living together might be good enough? Any suggestion?

I would appreciate your advice.