+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it too late to apply for work permit?

m1602

Nov 5, 2008
Hi

I'm in Canada looking for a job, my temporary resident visa will be expired on January 20th. Should I still try to get a work permit or should I be working on my extension first? Is it too late to apply for a work permit now?

Cheers

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you can not change your status to work permit by Dec 20, 30 days before your TRV expires, you need to apply to extend your TRV.

m1602

Nov 5, 2008
Hey Leon

Here's what I read on cic.gc.ca
"If your current temporary resident status is still valid you can apply for an extension of your stay providing
you apply at least 30 days before the expiry date of your current status."

Do I need to HAVE the work permit before Dec 20th or do I need to APPLY FOR(send my application and everything) the work permit before Dec 20th? I thought if I apply 30 days ahead, it should be alright... which one is it? thanks a lot!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's very clear what it says. You have to apply 30 days before it expires.

meraphy

Nov 29, 2008
Leon said:
If you can not change your status to work permit by Dec 20, 30 days before your TRV expires, you need to apply to extend your TRV.
Is your employer willing to extend your work permit? For all Foreign workers out there you need to renew your work permit 30 days before expiry date of your work permit but please do not wait till the last minute just in case you encounter problems and you can renew it 2 months before
expiry date. If your work permit has expired you still have 90 days grace period to renew and if you still did not renew your work permit after this grace period CIC will notify you to return to your country of origin.