+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to work from outside Canada and get paid by a Canadian employer while waiting for a work-permit?

vsmkrm298

Star Member
Jul 6, 2020
USA
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Hello there,

I recently completed my degree in the USA and got a job as Postdoc in Canada. So, I applied for a work-permit on June 22nd, gave biometrics a month later and waiting for the work-permit to be approved. Even though my job falls under GSS stream, I didn't see any updates to my account till now. My job starts from September 1st. In case I don't get work-permit + visa by this date, my postdoc advisor said that he can still pay me starting September 1st if I can open a Canadian bank account and start working from the USA itself. I am in the processing of opening an account in the Royal Bank of Canada. I just want to know from this community if it is even possible to get paid by working outside Canada while waiting for a work-permit. If possible, can you also redirect me to any websites that says that such thing is possible or not?

I really appreciate your suggestions,
Thank you.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hello there,

I recently completed my degree in the USA and got a job as Postdoc in Canada. So, I applied for a work-permit on June 22nd, gave biometrics a month later and waiting for the work-permit to be approved. Even though my job falls under GSS stream, I didn't see any updates to my account till now. My job starts from September 1st. In case I don't get work-permit + visa by this date, my postdoc advisor said that he can still pay me starting September 1st if I can open a Canadian bank account and start working from the USA itself. I am in the processing of opening an account in the Royal Bank of Canada. I just want to know from this community if it is even possible to get paid by working outside Canada while waiting for a work-permit. If possible, can you also redirect me to any websites that says that such thing is possible or not?

Thank you.
technically no

Reactions: vsmkrm298

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello there,

Thank you.
No your post doc doesn’t know about immigration. You’d need a work permit in the US unless you are a US citizen. If you are a US citizen they can pay you as a contract worker in the US.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Hello there,

Thank you.
You can't work without a SIN.

You need a valid permit to get a SIN.