+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to travel to Canada if my minor Kid's passport and student visa are expiring in 5 months?

May 17, 2023
My kid has student visa and once we travel to Canada she will get the study permit. My question is, is it mandatory for her that her passport should be valid for 6 months when we plan our travel from India to Toronto? Currently the passport is expiring in 5 months and our travel date is very near in this month.
Me and my spouse however have 2 years valid visa. For me its Visitor visa and for my spouse its ICT W1 visa. So is it fine if we all travel together and later file her new Indian passport application from Canada itself and then will get her visa renewed?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My kid has student visa and once we travel to Canada she will get the study permit. My question is, is it mandatory for her that her passport should be valid for 6 months when we plan our travel from India to Toronto? Currently the passport is expiring in 5 months and our travel date is very near in this month.
Me and my spouse however have 2 years valid visa. For me its Visitor visa and for my spouse its ICT W1 visa. So is it fine if we all travel together and later file her new Indian passport application from Canada itself and then will get her visa renewed?
Would have been better to apply for a new passport earlier but Canada doesn’t require over 6 months left on your passport to enter.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Based on your previous post the bigger issue is that you have left your employer and don’t have a position in Canada. That is misrepresentation. To extend your child’s status you should include proof that you are employed in Canada and you were actually transferred abroad.

trkm93

Jun 28, 2022
Based on your previous post the bigger issue is that you have left your employer and don’t have a position in Canada. That is misrepresentation. To extend your child’s status you should include proof that you are employed in Canada and you were actually transferred abroad.
Hello @canuck78 , we just received passport request. Myself and spouse passport expiry is quite far and covers our approved VISA duration from 2024 to 2026. But my kid's passport expires in July 2025. In the passport request letter its mentioned to send passport with full validity which covers your expected stay in Canada otherwise VISA will be granted till the passport expiry.
My question is if I renew my kid's passport now and submit it with copy of old passport and LOE explaining the passport renewal to cover full VISA duration is going to work or we just use current passport and renew it later once we are in Canada (if it's not much of a hassle)

Just FYI, I'll be on Work Permit, Spouse is on SOPW and kid's on TRV.

Any help is appreciated...