+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to receive my wife's passport using a Canada Post letter of authorization?

lquestion02

May 30, 2020
Hi everybody,

My wife (originally from Spain) applied for her passport by mail on August 23rd and she's still waiting for it but she has to travel back to Spain for urgent family matters. We have thought that one option is that we sign a letter of authorization from Canada Post (https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/at-the-post-office/services/letter-of-authorization) so that I can retrieve her mail when the passport / citizenship certificate arrives, and then I send that documentation to her via Fedex, but we don't know if that is possible for those documents.

Does anyone have experience with this? In other case, what other options do we have? Would it be possible for her to apply urgently for another passport even if she has already applied for one via regular mail?

Thanks.

Cap309

Oct 12, 2020
It is possible for her to transfer her file to nearest passport office & do walk-in to get emergency passport. You need to call to support center to transfer the file & you might have to call 30-40 time repeatedly before you can make in to waiting queue to talk to an agent.

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
Hi everybody,

My wife (originally from Spain) applied for her passport by mail on August 23rd and she's still waiting for it but she has to travel back to Spain for urgent family matters. We have thought that one option is that we sign a letter of authorization from Canada Post (https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/at-the-post-office/services/letter-of-authorization) so that I can retrieve her mail when the passport / citizenship certificate arrives, and then I send that documentation to her via Fedex, but we don't know if that is possible for those documents.

Does anyone have experience with this? In other case, what other options do we have? Would it be possible for her to apply urgently for another passport even if she has already applied for one via regular mail?

Thanks.
As of now, Canadians who provided a duly completed application by mail more than 20 business days ago, and are travelling within the next 20 business days, can visit any of over 300 Service Canada Centres to make a transfer request, in order to ensure their application is processed in time for their travel

lquestion02

May 30, 2020
Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, her trip will probably be next week, in a few days, so I don't know if what you are suggesting is possible. She can still go to Spain with her Spanish passport, though, she'd only need her Canadian one to come back, that's why I was asking about the Canada Post option. We'll definitely call tomorrow and ask.