+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to reapply for PR if our PR status expires with less than 2 years spent in Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reactions: BillyWescott

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
You need to formally renounce PR before you can reapply.
Thank you Scylla.

I read some of your posts in other similar threads.

Are there pathways available to re-enter and live in Canada if I don't renounce my PR status?

What happens if I am in Canada before the 5 year mark and stay in Canada past the 5 year mark, even though my total time in Canada is less than 2 years. Does that make my situation illegal, or can I stay in Canada so long as I don't travel outside of Canada?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you Scylla.

I read some of your posts in other similar threads.

Are there pathways available to re-enter and live in Canada if I don't renounce my PR status?

What happens if I am in Canada before the 5 year mark and stay in Canada past the 5 year mark, even though my total time in Canada is less than 2 years. Does that make my situation illegal, or can I stay in Canada so long as I don't travel outside of Canada?
There are two pathways to try to re-enter Canada if your PR card has expired.

The first is to fly to the US and then try to re-enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle. If you are allowed in without being reported for failing to meet the residency requirement, then you would then need to live in Canada for 2 straight years without leaving to meet the residency requirement. Once you meet the residency requirement, then you can apply to renew your PR card. Note that while you living in Canada and waiting to meet the residency requirement, you won't be able to sponsor any family members for PR and it may be difficult to access certain services such as the provincial health care system. If you are instead reported when you enter Canada for failing to meet the residency requirement, you will have to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status despite note meeting the residency requirement. Unless you have very strong H&C reasons, you can expect to be refused and will then formally lose PR and be told to leave Canada.

The second option is to apply for a PR Travel Document from outside of Canada with H&C considerations. You want to have very strong H&C reasons for having failed to meet the residency requirement. Reasons such as working or studying outside of Canada won't be counted. If the PRTD is approved under H&C, you can then travel to Canada and apply to renew your PR card as soon as you arrive. If the PRTD is refused, this will trigger the process to officially revoke your PR status.

Those are your options.

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
There are two pathways to try to re-enter Canada if your PR card has expired.

The first is to fly to the US and then try to re-enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle. If you are allowed in without being reported for failing to meet the residency requirement, then you would then need to live in Canada for 2 straight years without leaving to meet the residency requirement. Once you meet the residency requirement, then you can apply to renew your PR card. Note that while you living in Canada and waiting to meet the residency requirement, you won't be able to sponsor any family members for PR and it may be difficult to access certain services such as the provincial health care system. If you are instead reported when you enter Canada for failing to meet the residency requirement, you will have to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status despite note meeting the residency requirement. Unless you have very strong H&C reasons, you can expect to be refused and will then formally lose PR and be told to leave Canada.

The second option is to apply for a PR Travel Document from outside of Canada with H&C considerations. You want to have very strong H&C reasons for having failed to meet the residency requirement. Reasons such as working or studying outside of Canada won't be counted. If the PRTD is approved under H&C, you can then travel to Canada and apply to renew your PR card as soon as you arrive. If the PRTD is refused, this will trigger the process to officially revoke your PR status.

Those are your options.
I appreciate your help Scylla!

I just checked my PR card expiry date: 16 September 2026. Isn't it odd given the fact that I landed on 20 August 2021? Doesn't that mean my PR card is valid beyond the 5 year mark?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I appreciate your help Scylla!

I just checked my PR card expiry date: 16 September 2026. Isn't it odd given the fact that I landed on 20 August 2021? Doesn't that mean my PR card is valid beyond the 5 year mark?
Not odd at all. This is perfectly normal. Most people have this situation since it takes several months for the PR card to be issued. Note that the validity of your PR card really has nothing to do with the residency requirement. The residency requirement starts on the day you land and become a PR and you are required to live in Canada at least 2 out of every 5 rolling years going forward from that landing date.

Kayne

Apr 5, 2019
Canada
Just make sure that you are back in the Country before the expiry date of your P.R card and then stay long enough till you are eligible to apply for a new card or apply for a Citizenship. You remain a permanent resident of Canada even after your P.R card expires. It does not change your status.