+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to Postpone a hearing with a Citizenship judge?

BiboMD

Mar 27, 2013
Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask if you know if it's possible to postpone a hearing with a Citizenship judge? I am currently a medical student in the US and I have my board examinations at the end of the summer and I will studying in the US over the summer, but I am worried I might get a letter to either see a judge or attend the oath ceremony over the summer (FYI I got the RQ in Nov, 2011 and I have been waiting since)..... AND to make the situation more complicated, I am not gonna be able to leave the US for around 3 months any way this summer, since I am marrying an American and while I'm getting my status changed to American PR, I am not allowed to leave the country..... SO, my question is: should I get a letter for an appointment with a judge or for the oath ceremony, will I be able to postpone said appointment in any way?

Thank you in advance,
Bibo

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
Anything is possible but why not withdraw your application. You are apperently applying for a US Green Card so your intentions are obviously to take up residency in the US. Why take up resources with the CIC for people who are actually applying for citizenship with the intention of living in Canada as Canadians? The judge would obviously want to know the reasons for your rescheduling and if your reason is that your Green Card application will not allow you to leave the US (were you are residing), what do you think the outcome will be...?

BiboMD

Mar 27, 2013
Actually, my intentions are to reside in Canada not the US.... I am marrying an American and doing my training in the US but we plan on living in Canada, which is why it is important for me to get the citizenship. Based on your tone and response I am assuming that you have no idea whether it is possible to postpone a hearing with a judge, right?

Does any one else have any idea if this is possible?

Thank you

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Sure you can write to CIC and tell them you are not available for interview/ oath between dates x and y. CIC will then schedule you at their convenience..a couple of posters missed/postponed their test/oath and had the next event in 6-12mths so maybe think twice.

2. Not sure who is dealing with your US GC application but you can apply for advanced parole to enable you leave the country while GC processing ongoing - not leaving is advisable for those who have overstay and risk a 3/10 year ban on re-entry.

3. How many physical days did you have in your citizenship application? Were you studying in the US during the 4 year qualifying period?

thunderlight

Apr 5, 2013
GK said:
Anything is possible but why not withdraw your application. You are apperently applying for a US Green Card so your intentions are obviously to take up residency in the US. Why take up resources with the CIC for people who are actually applying for citizenship with the intention of living in Canada as Canadians? The judge would obviously want to know the reasons for your rescheduling and if your reason is that your Green Card application will not allow you to leave the US (were you are residing), what do you think the outcome will be...?
wow this lady has no shame, millions of chinese, indians and latinamericans even american themselves want to immigrate to Canada every year and she wants to postpone the citizenship hearing, and she also knows that this is a once in life time opportunity, she knows the judge wont like it however she still wants to postpone it, i wonder would she postpone an oath ceremony as well??

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
it wont look good before the judge. you know this is a common wealth country most of its practices derived from the British origin where authorities have upper hand and citizens many times are treated similar to school kids. Now please dont think im bashing out Canada. Im just contrasting it with USA which is a country of second chances and liberty is soaked in every citizen's blood that they demand public services as reciprocation of their contribution to the society. So what the OP thinks is a normal question is considered utterly rude in other, in my opinion narrow minded, parts of the world.
Answering the OP's question, when in Rome be a Roman. The judge has the upper hand here, most likely than not, the judge will take it to his offense when you dont show up. now i dont know what your situation is down there. but im hoping its not a tight plight that you cant even consider a same day round trip. fly in the wee hours of the morning, return back later in the night? just a suggestion!

Nordicgirl

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
Visa Office......
Scarborough, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some people have postponed their interviews, oaths etc. So if you get a letter that you have to go to an interview or whatever, let them know that the date is not good for you. Then the next time it might be as much as a year later.

But if you are gonna live in Canada, why get a US green card? You won't need that if you are gonna be in Canada.