+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to find work in your field with a Canadian Master's degree but foreign bachelor degree?

arantxa

Aug 15, 2020
Chile
Category........
STUDY
Hello, I'm a veterinarian from Chile and I'm applying to a Animal Science master's program. As a veterinarian I know that I need to go through certification to make my foreign degree valid in Canada. But upon obtaining the animal science degree I'd be able to work in other areas in which (in my opinion) a DVM degree is not needed (animal scientist, poultry scientist, swine technician, etc). With this in mind, I wanted to know your opinion/experience if it's possible to find employment with a canadian master's degree and a foreign bachelor degree. Is it frowned upon to not have my veterinary degree validated, or have a foreign bachelor?

Thanks in advance.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
A Canadian master's will of course help your job search. The other hurdle is getting Canadian work experience.

arantxa

Aug 15, 2020
Chile
Category........
STUDY
Yes. Employers often want to see Canadian work experience before they hire you. You should probably get your DVM recognized.
Thanks for your input. I would like to get it recognized but it's an expensive ordeal, so being able to work in a qualified job in Canada before/during the process would be helpful.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It also really depends on the field. You are looking in a pretty niche market. Not sure what kind of demand there is for all the jobs you mentioned and whether you need a masters for some of the jobs you mentioned.

arantxa

Aug 15, 2020
Chile
Category........
STUDY
It also really depends on the field. You are looking in a pretty niche market. Not sure what kind of demand there is for all the jobs you mentioned and whether you need a masters for some of the jobs you mentioned.
Yes, very much so, I also feel this master's might just narrow my job opportunities. I can't say there's high demand for technical jobs in farms, but I was aiming for that field. My main goal is immigration though, so I'm having second thoughts about my study plan now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, very much so, I also feel this master's might just narrow my job opportunities. I can't say there's high demand for technical jobs in farms, but I was aiming for that field. My main goal is immigration though, so I'm having second thoughts about my study plan now.
Not something I am very familiar with. You will have to do your research and contact people in theindustry.