+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is it possible to escalate my PR process as a convention/protected person?

hamasi

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
You can not use your passport nor renew it. I have read about 5 cessation applications apart from the reavailment which most protected person are aware of. Renew your passport is one of those reason... using your passport lets say to cross to the US, is another reason on presumption that when you use your passport it comes with all the previledge as a citizen of that country, incase you face any problem that requires consular assistance or removal, they will contact your embassy ( that you fled and claim refugee ). Thats the reasons why statistics shows that Minister wins almost every cessation application. Justice website has resources to read

https://irb.gc.ca/en/legal-policy/legal-concepts/Pages/RefDef12.aspx
yeah you are right, but in my case, im from iran, and canada has no politic relation with Iran nor does Iran,they dont have any embassies, so basically they dont have any connections, the thing is i asked the agent from CBSA over the phone that claimed refugee and now im on my pr, can i use my passport, she literally said yes there is no issue.but i forgot to ask whether i can renew it or not.and in order to renew my passport, i have to mail to Pakistan's embassy in Washingtonian, I am just confused.someone here emailed IRC and asked them the same question and im waiting for their explanation.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
yeah you are right, but in my case, im from iran, and canada has no politic relation with Iran nor does Iran,they dont have any embassies, so basically they dont have any connections, the thing is i asked the agent from CBSA over the phone that claimed refugee and now im on my pr, can i use my passport, she literally said yes there is no issue.but i forgot to ask whether i can renew it or not.and in order to renew my passport, i have to mail to Pakistan's embassy in Washingtonian, I am just confused.someone here emailed IRC and asked them the same question and im waiting for their explanation.
Unfortunately most agents over the phobe dont even have the legal details and they’ll simply go on your way. I called CBSA one day, i had a guy with very heavy accent and i regret why i phoned to ask, it was waste of time and the information was wrong...

back to your situation, i understand the confusion but worst case come, you wont use that as an excuse when Minister apply for cessation. I had a case where someone’s Citizenship applicatiob was stalled because of that, to find out later Minister will apply for cessation...it is the Same Law firm represented poor guy that i retained their service, and my lawyer was very clear;

1. Do not use your passport, wait until you become a citizen
2. Do not re-avail
3. Do not re-establish, even mentioned building a new house home/ or buying one can be interpreted as reestablish
4. Do not renew the passport ( if we both agree on this, why we have doubt to use it )...
But im not in your situation, but just an advice what may happen

Reactions: hamasi and canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Doesn't matter if you are from Iran. Canada can still find out if you reenter Iran by communicating with neighboring countries or airlines.

Reactions: hamasi