+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to apply for startup visa buying a canadian company franchise?

joshuac

Jun 24, 2016
Hi,

I am currently intending to apply for the Startup Visa. The thing is can i present my business plan to the Incubators in order to get the support letter if i am going to buy a canadian company franchise? Or do i have to open my own company and start the company from Zero in this case?

Thank you.

Joshua.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - you can't apply for the start up program by buying a franchise. You need to start your own company from zero. That's what "start up" means.

joshuac

Jun 24, 2016
After my last post i was told that the Franchise owner could prepare an LMO document. The LMO process require the employer to advertise the job for 4 weeks and than after that prove that didn't find anyone with all the requirements to proper fill in the job vacancy.

is that true? Can a franchise owner sell the franchise to a Foreigner by providing him an LMO document in order for him to get the business visa?

If not, what is the best option of business visa for a foreigner to buy a franchise?

Thank you.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Bottom line is that you cannot in effect buy PR which seems to be being implied here. Sure you could probably buy a franchise but that would not give you any residency rights.

There are very tight rules regarding LMIAs and has nothing at all to do with ability to purchase a franchise. It is a way to an individual obtaining PR but it is an employer / employee relationship not a route to a business visa. So maybe could start as an employee then once established as PR invest in a franchise but need to establish PR first.

Actual business visas as I am sure you have hopefully read require investments in millions of dollars not just picking up a franchise else everyone would try that and the startup visa has already been explained in earlier post it means startup of a new business with Canadian partners/ investors from scratch

Maybe as an alternative look at the various PNP programs for entrepeneurs which tend to have lower dollar investment requirements. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/apply-who.asp Search each province link for requirements.

Others can comment but business/startup visas are not an easy ride and get a lot of scrutiny from immigration.

joshuac

Jun 24, 2016
Bs65 said:
Bottom line is that you cannot in effect buy PR which seems to be being implied here. Sure you could probably buy a franchise but that would not give you any residency rights.

There are very tight rules regarding LMIAs and has nothing at all to do with ability to purchase a franchise. It is a way to an individual obtaining PR but it is an employer / employee relationship not a route to a business visa. So maybe could start as an employee then once established as PR invest in a franchise but need to establish PR first.

Actual business visas as I am sure you have hopefully read require investments in millions of dollars not just picking up a franchise else everyone would try that and the startup visa has already been explained in earlier post it means startup of a new business with Canadian partners/ investors from scratch

Maybe as an alternative look at the various PNP programs for entrepeneurs which tend to have lower dollar investment requirements. Search each province link for requirements.

Others can comment but business/startup visas are not an easy ride and get a lot of scrutiny from immigration.
Thanks for all the info.

In my case its not a franchise that everyone would try. Its and UAV/Drone Technology Company, something that is defined as inovative and that opens the doors in the immigration process. Im just wondering what would be the best business visa option.

Thank you.