+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it okay.... (urgent and confusing)

A.G.Pennypacker

Star Member
Jun 3, 2014
if a prov. nominee (who has a an owp based on their spouse's study permit) continues to work (while awaiting PR in Canada) even though their spouse (the student) dropped out of university about 6 months ago?

Thanks

A.G.Pennypacker

Star Member
Jun 3, 2014
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not currently in this situation but I know someone who is. When I found out that the prov. nominee's spouse dropped out of school I assumed that they could get in trouble given the new cic rules regarding study permit holders.

If, indeed, you're correct and this couple has nothing to worry about than they have found a gaping and wonderful loophole in the immigration system.

-Come with your spouse to CDA as students. Then change your study permit to an OWP (connected to your spouse's SP). Using your new WP, get a job and a provincial nomination.

While you wait for PR; get your spouse to drop out of school to save money on tuition. But in the meantime collect all the social benefits afforded to international students. By the time anyone finds out, you'll be a permanent resident anyways.

Brilliant strategy! (if not a bit underhanded)

JMGRL

Aug 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
January 6, 2014
Med's Request
February 12,2014
Med's Done....
March 01, 2014
Passport Req..
November 05, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
PLease remember that a PR can be rescinded...
Its advised that you abide to the laws of the land...

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A.G.Pennypacker said:
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not currently in this situation but I know someone who is. When I found out that the prov. nominee's spouse dropped out of school I assumed that they could get in trouble given the new cic rules regarding study permit holders.

If, indeed, you're correct and this couple has nothing to worry about than they have found a gaping and wonderful loophole in the immigration system.

-Come with your spouse to CDA as students. Then change your study permit to an OWP (connected to your spouse's SP). Using your new WP, get a job and a provincial nomination.

While you wait for PR; get your spouse to drop out of school to save money on tuition. But in the meantime collect all the social benefits afforded to international students. By the time anyone finds out, you'll be a permanent resident anyways.

Brilliant strategy! (if not a bit underhanded)
My opinions here:
I think pretty much this is a potential loophole due to compliance checking. I took notice of your questions from some time ago, on this matter also, but was not able to look it up. This time though I looked at the IRPA as and CIC's bulletins but cannot find any specific mention on consequences of the OWP resulting from an SP. The literature speaks to the eligibility of spouses of students to get an OWP, but does not mention that a violation/contravention of the terms of the SP (from which the OWP eligibility emanates and can be subsequently obtained) will result also in the invalidity of the OWP. The gist is - the violation should be on the conditions imposed on temporary residency/authorization (WP/SP). In this case, the OWP holder has not violated the conditions of the WP; on the contrary, it is the SP holder who may be in violation of the conditions of the SP.

220.1 (1) The holder of a study permit in Canada is subject to the following conditions:
(a) they shall enroll at a designated learning institution and remain enrolled at a designated learning institution until they complete their studies; and
(b) they shall actively pursue their course or program of study

Unfortunately - the compliance checking came only mid-this year and is not even complete yet:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/verification.asp

If they are in violation of any conditions of temporary residence, there is cause for inadmissibility:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf02-eng.pdf

A29(2) A temporary resident must comply with any conditions imposed under the regulations and with any requirements under this Act, must leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay and may re- enter Canada only if their authorization provides for re-entry into Canada.

In that case, then the inadmissible family member will lead to inadmissibility of all (from ENF 2)

A42 A foreign national, other than a protected person, is inadmissible on grounds of an inadmissible family member if
(a) their accompanying family member, or in prescribed circumstances, their non-accompanying family member is inadmissible.

If the SP holder is in violation of the conditions of temporary residence (the SP), he/she can be found to be inadmissible. If he/she is a family member, then the principal applicant (the spouse) on the permanent resident application becomes inadmissible.

I do hope I read and understood those sections right (am not a legal person) - that is my understanding of the sections of the ENF and IRPA. In any case, it becomes now a function of verification of compliance to see any violations of the conditions of the SP.

.../hth

A.G.Pennypacker

Star Member
Jun 3, 2014
Great response Ragluf - Much appreciated!

Just one last question...

Do you think the Visa Officer processing the PR application will check to confirm that the spouse (of the principal applicant) is complying with the terms of his/her study permit before granting PR?

Thanks

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A.G.Pennypacker said:
Great response Ragluf - Much appreciated!

Just one last question...

Do you think the Visa Officer processing the PR application will check to confirm that the spouse (of the principal applicant) is complying with the terms of his/her study permit before granting PR?

Thanks
If we infer from here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/verification.asp

Looks like there is nothing setup for monitoring (and reporting to CIC) compliance to the terms of the SP. Presumably there should be something in place, but the contents of the compliance site does not give any confidence. More likely is that the Visa Officer may only inquire/lookup if the applicant has valid status in Canada (validity of the WP/SP) but not if the conditions are being met on the SP. There is wide latitude given to officers to ascertain admissibility, but whether these officers will specifically look into compliance in the absence of any reporting framework - that remains to be seen.

.../hth

A.G.Pennypacker

Star Member
Jun 3, 2014
Since the spouse of a nominee is eligible for an OWP does any one believe that an international student (who's also the spouse of a nominee) could legitimately switch from a SP to an OWP?

In other words, could the spouse of a nominee dump his/her current status as a student in favour of an OWP? Bear in mind that the nominee has an OWP based on the SP held by their spouse.

Thanks