+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it okay to let only the secondary applicant stay in canada for 3 years, and apply for citizenship

Bhoomi12

Star Member
May 14, 2017
Hi Here is my question.
I am the primary applicant.
As per the rule,, couple need to spend minimum 3/5 years at any cost to apply for citizenship right ?
I have started with some business here and I need to give minimum 3 years for that..

So Is it okay if I let my husband(secondary applicant) stay in Canada for 3/5 years as per the rule and apply for citizenship?

Can I just join him for rest of the 2 years i.e 2/5 years ?

Is this 3/5 years rule is applied for both the applicant? or anyone applicant ?

Will I be able to apply for Citizenship along with him ?

If not,, probably after me completing the 3 years???

But will it be violating the law ?

davobod

Star Member
Aug 18, 2017
Hi Here is my question.
I am the primary applicant.
As per the rule,, couple need to spend minimum 3/5 years at any cost to apply for citizenship right ?
I have started with some business here and I need to give minimum 3 years for that..

So Is it okay if I let my husband(secondary applicant) stay in Canada for 3/5 years as per the rule and apply for citizenship?

Can I just join him for rest of the 2 years i.e 2/5 years ?

Is this 3/5 years rule is applied for both the applicant? or anyone applicant ?

Will I be able to apply for Citizenship along with him ?

If not,, probably after me completing the 3 years???

But will it be violating the law ?
When it comes to citizenship requirement, each party is accessed individually. So if your spouse stays the required number of days and meets other citizenship requirements, he can apply for citizenship. However for you as a PR, you also have minimum obligations to maintain your PR status. Your best shot may be to figure out how to ensure you meet the minimum obligations to maintain your PR status and at the same time building your business. This may involve so much travels to & fro for the 2 years you are building your business and afterwards you may settle down to focus on meeting the citizenship requirements among which also includes income tax, etc.