+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it okay to have your mailing address different than your residential address?

countrygal

Sep 26, 2015
Mexico
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 8th, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 23rd, 2016
File Transfer...
Feb 26th,2016-AOR2 May 3rd,2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 8th,2015
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
Hoping for August 2016!!!
canusa13 said:
I'm guessing you're the sponsored spouse? I put a different residential and mailing address for my sponsored spouse and our application got sent back. So...
I am not the sponsored spouse. I am the sponsor.

countrygal

Sep 26, 2015
Mexico
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 8th, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 23rd, 2016
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 8th,2015
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
I honestly do not see a problem with having a different mailing address than residential. After all it does ask on the form " is your residential address the same as your mailing address" I clicked NO and listed my mailing address. I also do not understand why it is ok for others to have a mailing address different from residential and then for others it not be ok. It doesn't make any sense to be honest. I'm just hoping my app doesn't get sent back for that as I said before where I live they literally throw mail on the streets so I listed my Canadian address as I have no problem flying home to get my package if need be.

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
countrygal said:
I honestly do not see a problem with having a different mailing address than residential. After all it does ask on the form " is your residential address the same as your mailing address" I clicked NO and listed my mailing address. I also do not understand why it is ok for others to have a mailing address different from residential and then for others it not be ok. It doesn't make any sense to be honest. I'm just hoping my app doesn't get sent back for that as I said before where I live they literally throw mail on the streets so I listed my Canadian address as I have no problem flying home to get my package if need be.
I hope you application doesn't get sent back too. There seem to be varied experience with regards to this.

*Mandie*

countrygal

Sep 26, 2015
Mexico
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 8th, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 23rd, 2016
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 8th,2015
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........

canusa13

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2015
AOR Received.
18-02-2015
File Transfer...
SA: 23-02-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
27-11-2015
Interview........
DM 20-04-2016
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 02-05-2016
countrygal said:
I wish I had an answer to that too. It looks like it depends on the officer.

Having worked at a governmental institution for 5 years, I am not in the least surprised. You have NO idea what's going on there...haha

countrygal

Sep 26, 2015
Mexico
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 8th, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 23rd, 2016
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 8th,2015
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
Well I think that is complete bull. If they have no legit reason to send back the application then they shouldn't. Why can't everyone in this process get treated with equality??? By that I mean why send yours back and not mine? Not saying they won't send mine back but you know what I mean. It is not fair that it is a gamble.... If something wasn't wrong in 1 officers eyes then it shouldn't be wrong in another's especially when the form ASKS if your mailing address is different. They shouldn't even ask on the form of this is going to be the case. Sorry I had to rant. I just find it a bit ridiculous.

canusa13

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2015
AOR Received.
18-02-2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
27-11-2015
Interview........
DM 20-04-2016
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 02-05-2016
countrygal said:
Well I think that is complete bull. If they have no legit reason to send back the application then they shouldn't. Why can't everyone in this process get treated with equality??? By that I mean why send yours back and not mine? Not saying they won't send mine back but you know what I mean. It is not fair that it is a gamble.... If something wasn't wrong in 1 officers eyes then it shouldn't be wrong in another's especially when the form ASKS if your mailing address is different. They shouldn't even ask on the form of this is going to be the case. Sorry I had to rant. I just find it a bit ridiculous.
Tell me about it! I was devastated when I received the application back. I sent it nicely organized, with clips and tabs. I got a pile of loose papers back, not even in order. I was SO mad and bitter about it. I got over it though and now I'm just patiently waiting. I should have gotten the AOR yesterday (judging by the December spreadsheet) but still nothing. This is a really frustrating process for most people.

countrygal

Sep 26, 2015
Mexico
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 8th, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 23rd, 2016
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 8th,2015
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
canusa13 said:
Tell me about it! I was devastated when I received the application back. I sent it nicely organized, with clips and tabs. I got a pile of loose papers back, not even in order. I was SO mad and bitter about it. I got over it though and now I'm just patiently waiting. I should have gotten the AOR yesterday (judging by the December spreadsheet) but still nothing. This is a really frustrating process for most people.
When did you send your application the first time around? Yes I could imagine it is very frustrating. I am crossing my fingers that it does not happen to me.

canusa13

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2015
AOR Received.
18-02-2015
File Transfer...
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
27-11-2015
Interview........
DM 20-04-2016
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 02-05-2016
countrygal said:
When did you send your application the first time around? Yes I could imagine it is very frustrating. I am crossing my fingers that it does not happen to me.
I think it was December 3 or 4 and I got it back 2 weeks later. I worked my butt off to re-do it and managed to send it right before Christmas. It was received December 21. I am still nervous that they may send it back (call me paranoid!). I should have received my AOR on Thursday and didn't get anything. I'm just hoping that if they sent my first application within 2 weeks, they would have sent it back by now if there was something wrong with it. Fingers cross AOR will come next week.

MRheaB

Nov 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2016
Doc's Request.
11-05-2016
AOR Received.
18-03-2016
File Transfer...
12-04-2016
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2015
Interview........
hopefully waived
biag_ni_lam-ang said:
Yes:
In my application i put different address mailing and current home address but it works fine.
I live in a country with no personal mailing addresses so we have no choice but to have different residential and mailing addresses, CIC must know of these nuances or they wouldn't make it an option to have different addresses....or that is my hope!

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
MRheaB said:
I live in a country with no personal mailing addresses so we have no choice but to have different residential and mailing addresses, CIC must know of these nuances or they wouldn't make it an option to have different addresses....or that is my hope!
They know this so well, and I used seperate addresses but in the same country. I think it becomes a different ball game when the addresses are in different countries (say US and Canada). I think that is the common trend for those having their application returned.

*Mandie*

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
Form IMM5409 requested Feb 20, 2016
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
SA- Dec 10, 2015 ** DM- March 14, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Rec'd March 18, 2016
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
mandiebraxton said:
They know this so well, and I used seperate addresses but in the same country. I think it becomes a different ball game when the addresses are in different countries (say US and Canada). I think that is the common trend for those having their application returned.

*Mandie*
I agree with you Mandie. Maybe it is because if an applicant puts another country as their residence and a Canadian address as their mailing address then CIC doesn't know if you are in Canada or not. They can only go by what is listed. In that case they want you to appoint a representative. It's like you are giving permission for someone else to receive your mail. Bottom line, if you are "living" in Canada you should be putting that address for both addressess as well as answering all questions as your residence is in Canada.
That is just my opinion.
Smiles!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
TracyCa64 said:
I agree with you Mandie. Maybe it is because if an applicant puts another country as their residence and a Canadian address as their mailing address then CIC doesn't know if you are in Canada or not. They can only go by what is listed. In that case they want you to appoint a representative. It's like you are giving permission for someone else to receive your mail. Bottom line, if you are "living" in Canada you should be putting that address for both addressess as well as answering all questions as your residence is in Canada.
That is just my opinion.
Smiles!!
Again, I did this (addresses in two different countries) and had no issues. I know many other people on this forum who did this successfully as well. The returned applications are a tiny minority. I think the key is also listing Canada as the place where the applicant is currently staying/living in the address history part of the application (in addition to listing the Canadian address as the mailing address). The person who had their application returned listed a Canadian mailing address but did not say the applicant was currently staying/staying in Canada. I think that's why the application was returned.

TANMEX

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
countrygal said:
I am not the sponsored spouse. I am the sponsor.
Hello ,
I'm a sponsor residing in Canada and I have listed my house as my residential address and my office as my mailing address , Got AOR , SA and AOR2 with no issues .

Not sure what's the issue with CIC ?

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
scylla said:
Again, I did this (addresses in two different countries) and had no issues. I know many other people on this forum who did this successfully as well. The returned applications are a tiny minority. I think the key is also listing Canada as the place where the applicant is currently staying/living in the address history part of the application (in addition to listing the Canadian address as the mailing address). The person who had their application returned listed a Canadian mailing address but did not say the applicant was currently staying/staying in Canada. I think that's why the application was returned.
That's probably the likely reason, but it doesn't hurt to have the sponsor fill out the "use of a representative" form if the applicant has the same mailing address as the sponsor but a different residential address, just in case.

Anyone who is living in Canada during the sponsorship should really just put both addresses in Canada. I know we debated about this because of the requirement to not really be "living" in Canada, even though you are. But CIC doesn't care about that.