+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it mandatory to have health insurance before your program starts?

CaptJankSpoiler

Jan 17, 2021
Hi, I am traveling on mid of august 21 but my health insurance plan starts from 1st September. Do I have to take 1 month health separately? I mean is it mandatory to have health insurance plan before your program even starts. My classes starting from 2nd of week of September. Do CIBC officers ask health insurance plan on port of entry?

thank you.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hi, I am traveling on mid of august 21 but my health insurance plan starts from 1st September. Do I have to take 1 month health separately? I mean is it mandatory to have health insurance plan before your program even starts. My classes starting from 2nd of week of September. Do CIBC officers ask health insurance plan on port of entry?

thank you.
No. But it is at your own risk, should you be in an accident or fell ill. I arrived in November 30, 2018 for Winter 2019 start. CBSA did not ask for my health insurance coverage when I landed.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Are you sure of your insurance start date? I was notified by my college that my insurance is valid a month prior to class start. You should check with your DLI.

CaptJankSpoiler

Jan 17, 2021
No. But it is at your own risk, should you be in an accident or fell ill. I arrived in November 30, 2018 for Winter 2019 start. CBSA did not ask for my health insurance coverage when I landed.
Yes, I am sure about insurance start date. I also asked this query to my DLI and they said its not mandatory by laws to have health insurance before landing but its highly recommended.