+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is it mandatory to change the status on social media as per CIC

AutumnSkies

May 31, 2019
You don’t have to do anything when it comes to social media, but if you don’t have enough solid pieces of proof in other areas then social media is a good way to strengthen your case.

We used screenshots of Facebook that showed people commenting on us as a couple, places we went together, shots related to our marriage. We also sent screenshots of our professional photographer’s Instagram where she featured our wedding on her business account and screenshots of where she featured us on her website, also a business page. (My Facebook is private so I sent screenshots of what would be relevant to IRCC) My photographers’s stuff is all public and can be viewed by anyone at anytime as it’s a business. All this strengthened the fact that everyone knew about our relationship and it was public knowledge. Our wedding officiant also has us on his website, which is a business page and can be viewed by anyone at anytime. Combined with plenty off proof we lived at same address and all that stuff, we had a rock solid case.

Last edited:

LongBill

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
Florida, USA
Category........
FAM
I think that if the Facebook, etc, profile does not match what has been reported to IRCC it would seem "suspect".

Of course, some people may not regularly maintain such profiles (I don't) but not indicating "married" seems pretty basic...especially if the marriage has taken place during the membership in Facebook...such an event would seem to be proudly displayed on Facebook.

AutumnSkies

May 31, 2019
It’s one of those things. Yes, IRCC doesn’t care about the latte you had this morning or your three cats or your attempts at baking, but they do care if you say:

Ever mentioned financial trouble, was dissing your partner or fooling around on social media with someone who wasn’t your partner, or decided to get drunk and post yourself drinking and driving, etc, etc.

It’s absolutely naive to think they don’t care about social media. If there is one thing you can count on it’s the fact that the government wants to know everything about you from your finger prints to your DNA, to what you had for breakfast yesterday. (That last one is obviously an exaggeration, but you get my drift.)

And to the person who said ‘it’s probably illegal to send IRCC stuff from social media.’

Don’t be ridiculous. Of course it isn’t illegal.

DirtyMelodies

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
I bet you it's against immigration rules to use FB for proof.
It's not. FB posts are great proof, IMO. They're what I used for my photo requirements. They're timestamped, have captions showing a context, and comments from friends and family showing your relationship is genuine and common knowledge.

Reactions: AutumnSkies