+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is it mandatory to change the status on social media as per CIC

Nish42

Apr 17, 2019
i am currently adding my spouse on my file and we have marriage certificate and everything but do we still need to change the facebook status as married ? is CIC looking into the facebook profie as well ??

Please help

Imm007CA

Apr 21, 2019
i am currently adding my spouse on my file and we have marriage certificate and everything but do we still need to change the facebook status as married ? is CIC looking into the facebook profie as well ??

Please help
Why wouldn't you change your status?

Changing your status to married would solidify or provide additional proof of genuiness of your marriage. Especially if friends congratulate you, and you take screenshots and submit those as supporting documents.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017

Please help
IRCC is known to look at social media. There are cases on this forum of IRCC looking at LinkedIn and questioning employment history.

Why wouldn't you change your status though?

StephanH

Feb 20, 2019
Category........

Please help
LOL that made laugh... Why people make such a big deal because of FB? I bet you it's against immigration rules to use FB for proof.

Reactions: Nish42

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
CIC doesn't care about your Facebook relationship status. My partner and I have absolutely NOTHING about our personal lives, including whether we are in a relationship or who we are living with. Our spouse visa was granted no questions asked.

If you want to change your status then do it. If you don't then nobody cares but you and your spouse. Facebook status is absolutely not proof of a genuine relationship.

Reactions: StephanH and k.h.p.

sanko

Star Member
Aug 23, 2018
It’s not mandatory but it does add up to prove that your relationship is genuine. Given the fact that changing social media statuses is free and takes literally minutes, why not just do it?

Family sponsorship is really important and having more tools in your disposal to be successful should not be taken for granted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Imm007CA

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Of course they look at social media . Anything is up for grabs online . You could apply and say you were married etc etc and online , FB, Instagram all state you’re single, pictures of girlfriends/boyfriends, you DONT think that would raise a flag .
You could post pictures on Instagram showing a person overseas for huge stretches of time , but on your application you put you’re in Canada
People gotta remember you’re not applying for library membership with the CIC
Don’t be naive

Last edited:

Nish42

Apr 17, 2019
Why wouldn't you change your status?

Changing your status to married would solidify or provide additional proof of genuiness of your marriage. Especially if friends congratulate you, and you take screenshots and submit those as supporting documents.
thank you for your reply

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
LOL that made laugh... Why people make such a big deal because of FB? I bet you it's against immigration rules to use FB for proof.
I would have to disagree. CIC looks at social media when they are collecting information. American immigration does the same (the social media checks are even more intense since you have to give up all of your passwords - they even check messages). When you have a large amount of marriages of convenience and you have concerns about certain situations, why wouldn't you use all the tools at your disposal? Even employers have access to social media.

shalenabennie

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2017
Visa Office......
London
If your worried about changing it, then select the option to not have anything listed. You can do that.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
so i am uploading all documents today and is it okay if do change the status on facebook or they will still raise a red flag
Just make your Facebook profile private so they can't see it. Everyone should have their personal Facebook set to private anyways.

Reactions: DollyM

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
Just make your Facebook profile private so they can't see it. Everyone should have their personal Facebook set to private anyways.
Absolutely. My Facebook profile doesn't even use my real name. My surname on my FB is my birth name and even if CIC did look at it they would see absolutely nothing about my relationship. Just loads of photos of cakes and nature. No mention at all of my partner of 4.5 years.

Reactions: StephanH

Seaning

Aug 16, 2020
England
I guess they are actually taking into consideration the social network profiles. Yet i do not really know if they would actually take that as such an important point actually. However they might do it.