+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it legal to get paid in cash?

teejme

Aug 9, 2019
Im a international student. I have been offered a parttime job. some weeks i''ll be working 50hrs. other weeks no work. says it should average out to be 20hrs/week.
Employer says he will pay cash and i can give him receipts
Will CIC accept receipts of proof of income instead of stubs
Is there any sites i can look this up on?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Im a international student. I have been offered a parttime job. some weeks i''ll be working 50hrs. other weeks no work. says it should average out to be 20hrs/week.
Probably not. Also, you have to consider the mandatory deductions for CPP, EI, TAX etc. These are supposed to be handled via payroll. Just because you get "cash", it doesn't exempt you from paying the deductions.

Finally, and this is the big one, you are only allowed to work an actual 20 hours per week, NOT an average of 20 hours per week.
More than 20 hours in a single week is illegal and you risk serious consequences.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's illegal.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Working more than 20 hours a week is possibly an even bigger issue to any future dealings with IRCC. As said above you cannot average out hours , 20 per week is the absolute legal maximum

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
And that "employer', is engaged in under the table activity, which is illegal as well. If he isn't paying into the payroll deductions, then they are more then likely are not paying into WSIB, which insures workers if they get injured while on the job.

Be part of the solution to stamp out under the table aka being paid in cash/tax cheating activity in Canada
When you submit a lead, you are supporting your community and the programs and services we all rely on to improve quality of life in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/programs/about-canada-revenue-agency-cra/suspected-tax-cheating-in-canada-overview.html

Last edited:

teejme

Aug 9, 2019
Actually I misunderstood what he was saying. He had no problem calling the labour board on speaker phone and i listened. agent said yes employers can pay employee in cash but employer must do all necessary deductions, and give stubs to employee
i also now understand that i can only work 20hrs/ week only.
thanks all!