+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it impossible to apply as a temporary foreign worker for an entry level position?

estceashzed

Feb 14, 2019
I would like to apply for a work permit as a temporary foreign worker for a job that does not require previous experience and instead provides in-job training, aka, an entry level job.
However, the list of necessary documents include: employment reference letter and employment records. In other words, the rules dictate that one should have a previous job in order to meet the requirements, even though the job he's applying for does not require previous employment.

>>> https://i.imgur.com/1lz0IYM.jpg

In the application questionnaire, after changing the type of work permit from "A work permit with a Labour Market Impact Assessment" to "A work permit through the seasonal agricultural worker program" the employment reference letter and employment records are no longer needed ! Regardless of their title, both types require an LMIA. The difference is that the seasonal agricultural worker program is only available for Mexico and some Caribbean countries.

In brief, I'm asking is it really IMPOSSIBLE to apply for a work permit as a TFW for an entry-level job? are there other programs or routes you recommend?

Thanks !

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would like to apply for a work permit as a temporary foreign worker for a job that does not require previous experience and instead provides in-job training, aka, an entry level job.
However, the list of necessary documents include: employment reference letter and employment records. In other words, the rules dictate that one should have a previous job in order to meet the requirements, even though the job he's applying for does not require previous employment.

>>>

In the application questionnaire, after changing the type of work permit from "A work permit with a Labour Market Impact Assessment" to "A work permit through the seasonal agricultural worker program" the employment reference letter and employment records are no longer needed ! Regardless of their title, both types require an LMIA. The difference is that the seasonal agricultural worker program is only available for Mexico and some Caribbean countries.

In brief, I'm asking is it really IMPOSSIBLE to apply for a work permit as a TFW for an entry-level job? are there other programs or routes you recommend?

Thanks !
It's next to impossible. You should assume you won't be successful.

One option (if you have the money) would be to come to Canada on a study permit to attend school here as a full time student. You can work up to 20 hours a week off campus while attending school full time.

Another realistic option would be to obtain a few years of work experience in your home country and then apply to immigrate to Canada through one of Canada's economic immigration programs.

Depending on what country you are from, the IEC / Working Holiday Visa may also be an option.

estceashzed

Feb 14, 2019
Unfortunately my country isn't included in the IEC/Working Holiday Visa program. I am left with the two options you listed above. Thank you so much for your answer.

Regards

Reactions: bob_schaf