+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it illegal to have online business back in home country

carmenlau

Nov 7, 2017
I have a TRV and am going to visit Canada for about 2.5 months. I bought valid return tickets.

1) Is it illegal for me to own an online business back in my home country while i am in Canada? I will continue to run my business while im on my visit but the money are all earn in my home country currency from my customers there. None are from Canada.
Does this still consider "working" illegally?

2) the border officers might question about how am i going to support myself if i am on vacation for 2.5 months, can I mention that i earn through the online business?

3) I am going to stay in my friend's place during the visit. Do i need my friend to write me an invitation letter ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) No - it's not illegal. You can do this.
2) Not a good idea. You should instead show a bank account with sufficient funds to pay for your vacation in Canada.
3) You can certainly ask your friend to provide you with an invitation letter - but it's not mandatory.

carmenlau

Nov 7, 2017
1) No - it's not illegal. You can do this.
2) Not a good idea. You should instead show a bank account with sufficient funds to pay for your vacation in Canada.
3) You can certainly ask your friend to provide you with an invitation letter - but it's not mandatory.
I already showed my bank account with sufficient funds to the Canada Embassy when i applied my TRV last year August. I should bring my bank account details along with me when i am crossing the border on March?
This will be my second time crossing. First was in October last year. No issue that time.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I think the recommendation is to always be prepared given as said not necessarily a good idea to say up front that you intend to work with your online business whilst visiting in order to support yourself given that could mean you have to be convincing about no Canadian clients. If in the unlikely event you are asked about financial support for a long stay apart from staying with friends which is a positive then having a recent financial proof to show just completes the picture. Showing funds to get a TRV is simply a point in time and does not really make any difference at a border where you could be a bankrupt for all CBSA know

As sure you know every entry to any country is unique so just because last time was no issue does not mean next time someone might be challenged. Can be as simple as volunteering extra information that has not been asked of you leading an officer down an unintended path, even to an officer having a bad day and someone shows some attitude in answering any simple questions.

Ultimately with CBSA only give info to questions asked, be polite and if it means taking a copy of your recent bank statement just in case then do so.