+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it fine for birth certificate to NOT have name?

robinsinghsobti

Star Member
Nov 9, 2015
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
Hi,

I'm applying for spouse sponsorship for my spouse for marriage solemnised in Ontario. But my spouse's birth certificate doesn't have her name on it. Will that be fine?

If not, can I do something about it?

Regards
Robin

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Don't think CIC will accept her birth certificate if it does not have her name on it. How would you prove that it is her birth certificate. You can't. She needs to have an official certificate that states her name / her parents names and place and date of birth.

Last edited:

robinsinghsobti

Star Member
Nov 9, 2015
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
Don't think CIC will accept her birth certificate if it does not have her name on it. How would you prove that it is her birth certificate. You can't. She needs to have an official certificate that states her name / her parents names and place and date of birth.
Thanks for your response. I understand that but the time when this birth certificate was made in India, it didn't use to have name on the birth certificate. Can it be supported along with an affidavit?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
To be honest, I don't think so. This is the first post I have seen whereby someone asked if they can submit birth certificate without birth child's name on it. It might work if you can get the Indian embassy to vouch for it. But can't promise that. I'm sure the Indian embassy would be aware about Canada PR requirements and may be able to issue a Indian birth certificate with wife's name on it. If anything I think your wife should apply for new birth certificate with her name on it asap.

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
To be honest, I don't think so. This is the first post I have seen whereby someone asked if they can submit birth certificate without birth child's name on it. It might work if you can get the Indian embassy to vouch for it. But can't promise that. I'm sure the Indian embassy would be aware about Canada PR requirements and may be able to issue a Indian birth certificate with wife's name on it. If anything I think your wife should apply for new birth certificate with her name on it asap.
screech. In my country there is nothing is called Birth Certificate. When someone is born, they are just given ID? is this common?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
screech. In my country there is nothing is called Birth Certificate. When someone is born, they are just given ID? is this common?
ID, birth document, birth record, whatever it is called in India, it has to have the OP's wife's name on it. The OP wants to be able to submit a record of her wife's birth without her name on it. Don't think CIC will accept that. There's no proof that it actually belongs to her since there's no name on it.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
ID, birth document, birth record, whatever it is called in India, it has to have the OP's wife's name on it. The OP wants to be able to submit a record of her wife's birth without her name on it. Don't think CIC will accept that. There's no proof that it actually belongs to her since there's no name on it.
I agree. May be the document is called something else. But there are many applicants from India and this is the first time I read that a birth certificate do not have name...
Some do get it later (not right after they were born) but I think they all have names on the documents.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I agree. May be the document is called something else. But there are many applicants from India and this is the first time I read that a birth certificate do not have name...
Some do get it later (not right after they were born) but I think they all have names on the documents.
I know in India an ID can be issued without a child's name on it initially. This is due to people not wanting to assign a name just yet in case the baby doesn't survive within a few months. Apparently infant mortality rate is high in India and they don't want to come up with a new name for a future baby if god forbid the initial baby didn't survive. But usually after 3-4 months, the birth record gets updated with child's name attached. It appears that the OP's parents-in-laws didn't update their daughter's birth record with her name on it. But there must be some kind of birth record with her name on it as how does the OP's wife even get an Indian passport in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I know in India an ID can be issued without a child's name on it initially. This is due to people not wanting to assign a name just yet in case the baby doesn't survive within a few months. Apparently infant mortality rate is high in India and they don't want to come up with a new name for a future baby if god forbid the initial baby didn't survive. But usually after a 3-4 months, the birth record gets updated with child's name attached. It appears that the OP's parents-in-laws didn't update their daughter's birth record with her name on it. But there must be some kind of birth record with her name on it as how does the OP's wife even get an Indian passport in the first place.
Good to know. Learn something new today. :)