+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it considered employment under foreign work experience if I worked for a family member?

Feminap98

Oct 28, 2021
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
I worked for couple years as an Admin supervisor but my dad was the owner of the enterprise. I just wanted to ask if it is considered as self employment or can I just add documents like a regular employment? And if it is considered as normal employment, what documents are required to prove the foreign work experience apart from the reference letter mentioning duties on company letter head(does it need to have the NOC code or just the duties). One last question is that I was studying in 12th grade while working this position, so does that create an issue if I was working full time? Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I worked for couple years as an Admin supervisor but my dad was the owner of the enterprise. I just wanted to ask if it is considered as self employment or can I just add documents like a regular employment? And if it is considered as normal employment, what documents are required to prove the foreign work experience apart from the reference letter mentioning duties on company letter head(does it need to have the NOC code or just the duties). One last question is that I was studying in 12th grade while working this position, so does that create an issue if I was working full time? Any help will be appreciated, thanks!
It would be considered as employment. You would want to provide a letter with the job duties along with pay stubs / salary slips / bank deposits to show you were paid a regular wage.

Reactions: Feminap98

PaulAbhik23121989

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC
Yes. It is considered as an employment.
It's same for me as my father has his own business and I worked with him after my PG education in India. I gained 3 years of experience out of it which helped me for the CRS Score. I came to Canada on student visa, worked here for 1 year.
I applied CEC and got my PR 2 months ago.

I didn't have to provide any paystubs or salary slips of my previous work experience as it was a family business. I had to provide a reference letter including my job roles, responsibilities, NOC, annual salary. As I had 1 year of Canadian Experience, this matters most to apply under CEC. The CEC would require you to have a job under NOC 0, A or B.

Reactions: Feminap98

Indiawala

Nov 22, 2022
Yes. It is considered as an employment.
It's same for me as my father has his own business and I worked with him after my PG education in India. I gained 3 years of experience out of it which helped me for the CRS Score. I came to Canada on student visa, worked here for 1 year.
I applied CEC and got my PR 2 months ago.

I didn't have to provide any paystubs or salary slips of my previous work experience as it was a family business. I had to provide a reference letter including my job roles, responsibilities, NOC, annual salary. As I had 1 year of Canadian Experience, this matters most to apply under CEC. The CEC would require you to have a job under NOC 0, A or B.
They didnt question the fact that you worked for your dads company besides the reference and offer letter?

Indiawala

Nov 22, 2022
No, they didn't. I confirmed with my dad and he said that he didn't receive any calls nor he received any emails.
I am currently in the FSWP express entry process. I did a remote paid internship with my dads company and then did full time work when I returned back to my country. I get cash salary since I live with my parents as they cover majority of my costs. Do you think it will be an issue when I get my invitation? The amount of cash I’m getting is not even taxable.

PaulAbhik23121989

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC
I am currently in the FSWP express entry process. I did a remote paid internship with my dads company and then did full time work when I returned back to my country. I get cash salary since I live with my parents as they cover majority of my costs. Do you think it will be an issue when I get my invitation? The amount of cash I’m getting is not even taxable.
Apologies that I am not sure about the requirements under FSWP as my PR was processed under CEC.
I would leave it up to the experts here and have them share their opinions.