+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it called misrepresentation. Pls help

citizenship2017

Nov 23, 2017
Hey guys,
I need help regarding my citizenship application. I submitted my citizenship application delivered on October 16 and after reading through copy of my application I realized I should have checked Yes instead of No in Question No.13 because I have citizenship in my country of birth( the only citizenship i have already in CIC record from my PR). I Just over read the question. I thought my application may be returned because I did not fill form correctly because CIC already knows i have citizenship in my country of birth. Assuming application being returned, I corrected the mistake in Question No.13, checked yes and listed citizenship in my country of birth and sent 2nd application with same fee receipt delivered on Oct 18 with the cover letter explaining reason why i am sending another app.
I ended up getting AOR for my first application which i thought will be returned for not enlisting citizenship in my country of birth. My first application delivered on Oct 16 is in process according to ECAS.
I checked ECAS this morning and ECAS is showing both applications now. Oct 16 app in process and Oct 18 app showing as received although i have not received AOR for Oct 18 app. My questions are

Is it called misrepresentation for missing to enlist citizenship in country of birth and then correcting it right after in 2nd application.
Is it a problem or issue for 2nd application in the system of IRCC, although my intent was to correct my mistake and enlist citizenship in my country of birth which i missed in first application.
IRCC already aware of my citizenship in country of birth because it is listed in my record of landing and PR card.
Please share your thoughts.
Thank you

vasvas

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Maybe you submit a webform update using your first application AOR to explain why you submitted the second application? The fact that you misinterpreted a question, realized your mistake and sent a correction is not (in a practical sense) misrepresentation. I am guessing there will be some confusion with a second application (if it is "accepted") but it sounds like you explained why you sent the second application. IMO a webform update will not hurt your case but I am only talking from my personal experience during the PR process. I used that case specific enquiry to keep the officer updated about any and every change while my application was in process and they were pretty good about responding to my updates.

maniac2403

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2013
Doc's Request.
29-05-2014
AOR Received.
27-12-2013
IELTS Request
Provided with application
File Transfer...
04-06-2014 (ECAS In Process)
Med's Request
10-06-2014
Med's Done....
11-06-2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
20-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-2014 (Visa stamp) 9-07-2014 (Passport Received)
LANDED..........
10-07-2014
You can use your AOR from your first application to update the case officer of the error on your part. Also indicate that you submitted a secondary application. This is not misrepresentation if you voluntarily reach out and correct your error.

citizenship2017

Nov 23, 2017
Maybe you submit a webform update using your first application AOR to explain why you submitted the second application? The fact that you misinterpreted a question, realized your mistake and sent a correction is not (in a practical sense) misrepresentation. I am guessing there will be some confusion with a second application (if it is "accepted") but it sounds like you explained why you sent the second application. IMO a webform update will not hurt your case but I am only talking from my personal experience during the PR process. I used that case specific enquiry to keep the officer updated about any and every change while my application was in process and they were pretty good about responding to my updates.
Thank you for responding

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hey guys,
I need help regarding my citizenship application. I submitted my citizenship application delivered on October 16 and after reading through copy of my application I realized I should have checked Yes instead of No in Question No.13 because I have citizenship in my country of birth( the only citizenship i have already in CIC record from my PR). I Just over read the question. I thought my application may be returned because I did not fill form correctly because CIC already knows i have citizenship in my country of birth. Assuming application being returned, I corrected the mistake in Question No.13, checked yes and listed citizenship in my country of birth and sent 2nd application with same fee receipt delivered on Oct 18 with the cover letter explaining reason why i am sending another app.
I ended up getting AOR for my first application which i thought will be returned for not enlisting citizenship in my country of birth. My first application delivered on Oct 16 is in process according to ECAS.
I checked ECAS this morning and ECAS is showing both applications now. Oct 16 app in process and Oct 18 app showing as received although i have not received AOR for Oct 18 app. My questions are

Is it called misrepresentation for missing to enlist citizenship in country of birth and then correcting it right after in 2nd application.
Is it a problem or issue for 2nd application in the system of IRCC, although my intent was to correct my mistake and enlist citizenship in my country of birth which i missed in first application.
IRCC already aware of my citizenship in country of birth because it is listed in my record of landing and PR card.
Thank you
Mistakes are not misrepresentation.

If you included a copy of your passport, you disclosed that citizenship. Otherwise, as you note, your citizenship is well-noted in your history. This is obviously a mistake. Not a misrepresentation.

Incorrect versus incomplete:

"I thought my application may be returned because I did not fill form correctly because CIC already knows i have citizenship in my country of birth."

Unfortunately in this forum there is a prevailing misunderstanding about AOR and the completeness check. It is NOT a correctness check. No where near it. Getting AOR does not mean the application was properly filled out. Applications are not returned because mistakes were made in filling out the application.

There was virtually no chance that improperly filling in item 13 would result in the application being returned.

Even if an application is likely to be returned, that is NOT a reason to submit a new application:

Nor is having made this or that mistake in the application. Once an application has been sent in, the only prudent course of action is to WAIT, wait for the application to get AOR, or wait until it arrives in the mail because it was returned. Even if the latter takes three months or a little more.

Applying for citizenship is not like watching television with PVR or TVO. There is no rewind button. In contrast, there are good reasons why prudent people have so loudly and persistently urged prospective applicants to approach sending off the application with diligence and care. The applicant will live with, deal with, what has been sent in. (My sense is that even if the application is returned to the applicant, IRCC has kept a complete photocopy of it; not sure of this, but that is my sense.)

As I have so often observed: quite often waiting longer to apply tends to mean getting to the oath ceremony sooner.

But once that application is off and delivered to IRCC, the-cake-is-in-the-oven. Ever consider taking a cake out of the oven and adding more flour or sugar, another egg? Does not work that way. If you really screwed it up, the cake gets tossed and you try another. Otherwise, when the time is right, you have an opportunity to add some icing to the cake, or add some other feature, some sauce or fruit or whatever. But the cake is the cake. Edible or not. Tasty or not.

In other words: some errors in an application can be fixed, like adding some icing to the cake. Some of these are important enough the applicant may want to send in a correction or supplemental information as soon as the applicant has AOR and a file number. Many small errors, or a mistake like this one, probably do not need to be addressed soon, but can wait to the interview. There is NO reason to attempt contacting IRCC or to send anything related to the application UNTIL AFTER AOR and the applicant has a file number.

Some errors cannot be fixed. An error in the date the application is signed cannot be fixed. An application made a day too soon, such that it turns out the applicant was only present 1094 or fewer days as of the day the application was signed, cannot be fixed.

What About Having Sent a Second Application?

In the past IRCC has returned second applications or put the second application on hold pending processing the one already in process. I am not familiar with these details in current policy.

A second application relying on the same fee receipt as an application already in process will, I suspect, be returned, but I am not sure.

The forum is likely to be getting some anecdotal reporting about this, however, since it appears a surprising number have already done similar things. Apparently part of that October Rush to Apply (here-we-come-ready-or-not).

Unfortunately, you did this during a transition period at IRCC which means there is a risk that what happens will not be according to how IRCC policy and practice dictate it should happen. There is enough confusion with just the changes let alone throwing things like back-to-back applications at them. It should all come out OK eventually. The question is whether this sidetracks your application some in the meantime.

This is the other side of why the prudent approach was to be more cautious: not only were those rushing to apply in October taking the inherent risks involved in rushing the application, they were throwing their application into a bureaucracy going through some big changes, into an environment of confusion (perhaps some chaos), even if their own application was perfect.

Combine complications in the application with the transitional woes of a bureaucracy like IRCC, not much to do but wait, wait, wait, to see how well things do go . . . eventually they will be OK . . . it is just that "eventually" word which tends to get stuck in the throat a bit.

REMINDER for others: Once the application is delivered, WAIT to learn what IRCC has done before trying to do anything else with the application. Wait for AOR to send anything more.

cedros123

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
This is getting ridiculous, this is not misrepresentation and I would not send them anything, it could only slow down your process.
In fact in French the question is ; list your citizenships and visa other than your birth country and canada .... so this is mistake by them !!!

zeenat imran

Apr 11, 2011
I am applying citizenship in December 2017. My question is do I have to mention all addresses used in outside Canada for vacations under the address column ? I don’t remember the hotels name etc.
I was on payroll while i have to go outside Canada and worked from home. So only the physical address would change and rest the same?thanks for your time

cedros123

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
I am applying citizenship in December 2017. My question is do I have to mention all addresses used in outside Canada for vacations under the address column ? I don’t remember the hotels name etc.
I was on payroll while i have to go outside Canada and worked from home. So only the physical address would change and rest the same?thanks for your time
Leave canadian address, keep it simple for them, if you were on vacations, you were not living abroad !

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
Doesn’t it clearly state: addresses where you LIVED? Vacation is not living there. Living means residency as far as I understand it.

walmzd

Star Member
May 27, 2012
Hey guys,

Thank you
I committed the exact same mistake, with one small difference that I was bon in a country that doesn't give its citizenship by birth, so I put non on the citizenship Q13, because I don't have the citizenship of the country of birth, that was definitely wrong and I should've put my current citizenship and my status in the country of birth. My application got the AOR after 17 days and IP after that, but I will rely on the interview to explain my honest mistake.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's only misrepresentation if you don't act on it. If you've received your AOR complete the form correctly and send it in along with an explanation letter - outlining your mistake. This way - you're all good.

Ignore it now and yes, it's misrepresentation.

robw

Mar 10, 2014
Sounds like a mistake, not "misrepresentation". My bet is that this would cause, at worst, a delay in processing your file. Just submit a correction using the webform like others suggested and you'll be fine.

zeenat imran

Apr 11, 2011
Leave canadian address, keep it simple for them, if you were on vacations, you were not living abroad !
Thank you for your reply. I went for 3 months that’s y I think I should mention my employer name but should change the physically presence location address of my back home country...?

zeenat imran

Apr 11, 2011
Doesn’t it clearly state: addresses where you LIVED? Vacation is not living there. Living means residency as far as I understand it.
I went for three months while on Payroll I worked from home.if I don’t write the location of back country then possibly cic May raise question...? Confuse

vasvas

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
I went for three months while on Payroll I worked from home.if I don’t write the location of back country then possibly cic May raise question...? Confuse
Let's see if I understand you correctly. You visited another country for 3 months while you were still being paid here in Canada. I am going to assume you are an IT professional with flexibility to work remotely. You are now concerned how you explain this 3 month absence from Canada. So if I got that right, here's my suggestion -
1. Your physical presence calculator will mention the 3 month absence as vacation/visit to home country. You answer question 11 without accounting for the foreign address as your work address never changed. Many people have arrangements with their employers where they are allowed an extended vacation (3 weeks time off and 2 week's work from home for example) but they continue to work remotely from another country (for personal reasons). The key point here is you still have a "home" address in Canada, you are still employed in Canada, your nominal work location is still in Canada and the absence is temporary for personal reasons. In the old days you would probably take an unpaid leave of absence from work and go visit your "old" country. These days many white collar jobs allow remote work facilities.

However, if you were deputed to the foreign country by your employer then it is a different issue. You will use question 11 to mention the work location as your foreign address while also including the absence on the Physical Presence Calculator.