Is interview location negotiable?

liherb

Star Member
Jan 18, 2010
Baloo said:
My apologies.

FSW notes OP 6 about interviews :

13.2. Use of interviews
Selection standards are objective, clearly defined and can be assessed in straightforward cases through the information provided on the application for permanent residence and the accompanying supporting documents.
In most cases, officers should be able to make selection decisions—either to approve or refuse applications—from the documentation provided. However, in some cases, an interview may be necessary.
Any concerns officers have regarding the accuracy or authenticity of information or documentation should be communicated to the applicant, whether these concerns are raised as the result of site visits, telephone checks or other means. Concerns can be communicated to the applicant in writing or at interview.

Officers may conduct interviews with applicants to:
ensure that information submitted on the application is truthful and complete;
detect and deter fraudulent information and documents;
clarify specific information;
conduct quality assurance.

Officers may not conduct interviews to:
assess language abilities;
determine personal suitability (as this factor no longer exists).

Note:
Visa offices will be expected to undertake both targeted and random verifications to detect and deter fraud. The number and percentage of cases subjected to verification should be high enough to act as a meaningful disincentive to those who would attempt such practices. A40 makes material misrepresentation a grounds for inadmissibility in its own right and prescribes a two-year ban on those both directly and indirectly involved in such practices. Interviews, site visits and telephone checks have proven to be the most effective ways to detect and to combat fraud. The information gained at interviews where fraud is detected will help officers to identify current trends and patterns and to refine their profiles for ongoing use.

OP 6 file
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op06-eng.pdf
So my reading is that you can negotiate with them and try to conduct the interview through the phone. Am I right?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
liherb said:
So my reading is that you can negotiate with them and try to conduct the interview through the phone. Am I right?
In my opinion, not likely, if at all.

Interviews are usually at the visa office that is dealing with your application.
Telephone checks are something very different.

liherb

Star Member
Jan 18, 2010
Baloo said:
In my opinion, not likely, if at all.

Interviews are usually at the visa office that is dealing with your application.
Telephone checks are something very different.
Then I think if I was called to an interview, the rational choice would be ignore it? Considering the flight tickets and the likelihood that the visa officer would issue a "yes" after the interview, I think any risk neutral individual would not go. ;)

By the way, could you paste a link to some posts on how to check status online? I am quite new to this as I just mailed my application yesterday through a courier. What should I expect after that? Thank you!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
liherb said:
Then I think if I was called to an interview, the rational choice would be ignore it? Considering the flight tickets and the likelihood that the visa officer would issue a "yes" after the interview, I think any risk neutral individual would not go. ;)

By the way, could you paste a link to some posts on how to check status online? I am quite new to this as I just mailed my application yesterday through a courier. What should I expect after that? Thank you!

Ignoring the interview is not risk neutral, that course of action is going to leave the IO very little to go on, thus increasing the risk of rejection to (IMO) 90%+.
When people start this process they need to be aware of the risks, costs and other realities.

If you google Canada eCas you will find the link on the CIC site.
IMO - You will be waiting ages before eCas goes active.

liherb

Star Member
Jan 18, 2010
Baloo said:
Ignoring the interview is not risk neutral, that course of action is going to leave the IO very little to go on, thus increasing the risk of rejection to (IMO) 90%+.
When people start this process they need to be aware of the risks, costs and other realities.

If you google Canada eCas you will find the link on the CIC site.
IMO - You will be waiting ages before eCas goes active.
Hi Baloo, thanks for your advice. My rationale is like this:
expected utility = expected value X chances of success
If the VO chose anybody to do an interview, the fact that this person has been chosen is a good indicator that the chances of success is already very low. If the expected value of becoming a permanent resident remains the same to that person, while that person needs to spend thousands of dollars on travels and being imposed the risk of losing his job (and salaries), the end product of the expected utility could be negative. Hence a rational individual would abandon the idea of becoming a permanent resident and just treats the previous effort as sunk costs.
How does this sound ;D

Anyway, could you tell me how I can know eCas has been activated? Will CIO send me an email? I used my credit card as method of payment so I haven't got any receipt yet. Thanks.