+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is 'home office' allowed in Canada for foreigners?

micedk

Jul 19, 2016
Hi everyone,
I couldn't seem to find an answer for this - my situation is as following:

I'm a danish citizen living in Germany, working for a German company. My girlfriend (and common-law partner) is Canadian and recently moved back to Canada. I'm in the fortunate situation that my company allows me to go stay with her and do 'home office' from abroad. The question is though, is that even legal? I'm not working for any Canadian clients, nor do I have any income in Canada.

So when entering, should I file that I'm working for the German company while being there, or just go as a visitor? Issue with the latter is, that I get a monthly salary from my employer, which will be hard to argue if I'm not officially working in the period.

The duration of my stay will be 4 months (and have already been in Canada for 6 weeks this year).

I have an eTA.
But do I really need a full blown Visitor Visa? (Lots of forms and proof to fill out and collect before I go to Canada in end August).

Thanks for your help,
Jacob

XpressEnterprise

May 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, PK (old)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-2008
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
Nomination.....
13-07-2007 (Investor)
AOR Received.
19-08-2008
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
20-04-2011 (London, UK)
Med's Request
29-08-2012 / 29-03-2014
Med's Done....
05-10-2012 / 20-06-2014
Interview........
01-12-2010 (Damascus, Syria)
Passport Req..
21-02-2012 (PPR1) / 15-10-2014 (PPR1 with chart) / 17-11-2014 (PPR2)
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2014 (Received on 01-01-2015)
LANDED..........
12-04-2015 (PR Card : 09-07-2015)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
micedk said:
Hi everyone,
I couldn't seem to find an answer for this - my situation is as following:

I'm a danish citizen living in Germany, working for a German company. My girlfriend (and common-law partner) is Canadian and recently moved back to Canada. I'm in the fortunate situation that my company allows me to go stay with her and do 'home office' from abroad. The question is though, is that even legal? I'm not working for any Canadian clients, nor do I have any income in Canada.

So when entering, should I file that I'm working for the German company while being there, or just go as a visitor? Issue with the latter is, that I get a monthly salary from my employer, which will be hard to argue if I'm not officially working in the period.

The duration of my stay will be 4 months (and have already been in Canada for 6 weeks this year).

I have an eTA.
But do I really need a full blown Visitor Visa? (Lots of forms and proof to fill out and collect before I go to Canada in end August).

Thanks for your help,
Jacob
the official definition of what would be considered work is here scroll down for the remote work section
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/about.asp

Personally i would just tell CBSA you are visiting your girlfriend and not volunteer any info on working unless any questions asked take you in that direction which may do if funding trip comes up. Assume you are travelling on Danish passport so as visa exempt you probably get 6 months entry as default unless CBSA have some reason.So just be convincing main reason for visit is to be with girlfriend

micedk

Jul 19, 2016
Alright, this answers my question - Thanks a lot guys.

I also found this definition of 'Business visitor', which seems to apply to my case as well in case they ask.
cic.gc.ca/english/visit/business-who.asp

As a Dane, all I need is
- an eTA
- proof of employment and income outside of Canada
- proof I have sufficient funds to finance my stay and that I can afford a ticket out of the country (I already have a return flight).
- and probably also a good idea to have proof of having an out-of-country health insurance.

Thanks!
Jacob