+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Game Master a valid job to qualify for CEC

pratikpatel

Dec 15, 2012
Hi there,

I am Pratik Patel and I am a temporary foreign worker currently in Toronto, ON. I graduated from Seneca in 2012 with a 2 years Computer Programmer Diploma course. Once I graduated, I got a 3 years Open work permit, which ends in February 2015.

After applying for a lot of jobs related to computer programming, I got selected for a Part-time job as a Game Master in mid-September 2013. Now, I am willing to continue this job even though it's part-time and would take 17.5 months to complete my work experience which is required to apply in the CEC class.
However, before doing that, I am a bit confused because neither can I find my job position "Game Master" in Skill Level 0, A or B, nor in Skill Level C or D. Though, somewhere along this, I can still find my job duties similar to some jobs in the NOC list and hence, I am a bit positive that though "Game Master" is not listed in the NOC List for whatever reason(very rare job position in North America maybe..), I would still like to find out that whether I can be eligible for CEC on the basis of my job as a Game Master.

Please help me to find out, if I am eligible or not. If not, I at least know that I have to find another job.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I really appreciate it!

Thanks for the help in advance!
Pratik

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
hi pratikpatel,

what are your job duties,roles,responsibilities? without those no one can assume what kind of work you do.

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
pratikpatel said:
Hi there,

I am Pratik Patel and I am a temporary foreign worker currently in Toronto, ON. I graduated from Seneca in 2012 with a 2 years Computer Programmer Diploma course. Once I graduated, I got a 3 years Open work permit, which ends in February 2015.

After applying for a lot of jobs related to computer programming, I got selected for a Part-time job as a Game Master in mid-September 2013. Now, I am willing to continue this job even though it's part-time and would take 17.5 months to complete my work experience which is required to apply in the CEC class.
However, before doing that, I am a bit confused because neither can I find my job position "Game Master" in Skill Level 0, A or B, nor in Skill Level C or D. Though, somewhere along this, I can still find my job duties similar to some jobs in the NOC list and hence, I am a bit positive that though "Game Master" is not listed in the NOC List for whatever reason(very rare job position in North America maybe..), I would still like to find out that whether I can be eligible for CEC on the basis of my job as a Game Master.

Please help me to find out, if I am eligible or not. If not, I at least know that I have to find another job.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I really appreciate it!

Thanks for the help in advance!
Pratik
Unless u write ur duties ..I can only thing of u as a actor in Game of Thrones :)

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
gladaki said:
Unless u write ur duties ..I can only think of Game of Thrones :)

suvan

Jan 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2013
Doc's Request.
RPRF 08-01-14
AOR Received.
13-05-13
IELTS Request
SENT
Med's Request
09-01-14
LANDED..........
2-6-14
Games master!! That's going back some years LOL ;D

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
Please post your duties to be sure but I am wondering if Game Master is also known as a Data Manager or Build Manager are you responsible for how a game is uploaded onto the build and then transfered on to disc?
If so this is normally considered to be part of software engineering so have a look at those nocs in the first instance.
But as everyone has said, please list your duties

nickutis

Star Member
Jul 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa CPP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2013 July 8th
AOR Received.
2013 September 3rd
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
2014 February 20th
Med's Done....
2014 March 6th
LANDED..........
2014 May 29th
I would say Game master is the same lik Customer service representative, which unfortunately is not eligible for CEC

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
Game masters, to my knowing, are people who would provide service to clients in gaming.
As others have stated, your job duties would clear if you are eligible or not.

mrFoce

Star Member
Oct 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-11-2012
AOR Received.
18-01-2013
Med's Request
03-11-2013
Med's Done....
07-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-2013
LANDED..........
04-01-2014
edm_cec said:
Hi Pratik .
you can apply in NOC 2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers .
Don't be so sure about that, unless he write down his duties. If it's the type of Game Master I think of, it's more related to customer service than anything else.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mrFoce said:
Don't be so sure about that, unless he write down his duties. If it's the type of Game Master I think of, it's more related to customer service than anything else.
Agreed. I think this is customer service - not programming.

pratikpatel

Dec 15, 2012
First of all, thank you everyone for the reply and sorry for not replying you guys.

Anyways, my job duties are as below:

* Test MMO Games to evaluate whethere they are at the desired level of quality
* Report any problems found or suggestions in detail both in verbal and in written communication to a supervisor
* Reproduce bugs on a consistent basis, while documenting all steps taken to cause it
* Give feedback on usability and "Fun Factor"
* Develop and execute test cases

Just a quick question with this. What if I get a field job(other than Game Master) sometime at the end of my 3 year Open work permit and then in order to complete my 1 year required work experience, I extend my Work permit. Now, does that work experience in the extended work permit count in the 1 year job experience for applying in the CEC ??

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
all skilled experience gained in the last 3 years previous to sending your CEC application counts except for the 6 ineligible occupations.
so in another word your experience does not have to be continuos,does not have to be in the same work permit,does not have to be with the same employer,does not have to be the same job title as long as its 12 months of full time skilled work experience within the 3 years window then you are good to go.
just make sure you do not get a job in the 6 ineligible occupations and try to avoid noc B jobs if you can since there is a sub-cap of 200 applications per noc.

good luck :)

pratikpatel

Dec 15, 2012
canadavisa13 said:
all skilled experience gained in the last 3 years previous to sending your CEC application counts except for the 6 ineligible occupations.
so in another word your experience does not have to be continuos,does not have to be in the same work permit,does not have to be with the same employer,does not have to be the same job title as long as its 12 months of full time skilled work experience within the 3 years window then you are good to go.
just make sure you do not get a job in the 6 ineligible occupations and try to avoid noc B jobs if you can since there is a sub-cap of 200 applications per noc.

good luck :)
However, what if I am short of few months for my 1 year work experience when my 3 years work permit ends? Can I finish the remaining work experience for 1 year by extending my work permit ??

pratikpatel

Dec 15, 2012
lpc19800 said:
Please post your duties to be sure but I am wondering if Game Master is also known as a Data Manager or Build Manager are you responsible for how a game is uploaded onto the build and then transfered on to disc?
If so this is normally considered to be part of software engineering so have a look at those nocs in the first instance.
But as everyone has said, please list your duties
I have listed my duties above as you all have asked for. Moreover, I do have to do something similar of which you are telling. We as Game Masters have to do the weekly maintenance every week and during that if there are any new game patches then we have to test it out first on the QA server and then IF successful, we ask the tech guys to upload it to the Production servers for the real game players.