+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is flagpoling so easy for SOWP or work permits?

sagejoseph

Feb 23, 2020
from what i been reading it sounds easy if you have a valid study permit or valid visitor visa in Canada, and you want a SOWP or any other work permit...so why doesnt everyone just do that instead of the hassles with CIC?
What is the catch??

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment if they have a different view but The catch is that CBSAs primary role is to protect Canada’s borders and not to issue permits that have not been preapproved by IRCC which they often do reluctantly. Hence for example the restrictions across the Ontario border with the US where they will only accept flagpolers on Tues/Weds/Thursday through specific hours Given traffic volumes outside these days.

If everyone turned up to flagpole then at some point both USCBP and CBSA would likely close down the option for anyone not preapproved completely as a distraction from their primary mission.

Mann157

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
Others can comment if they have a different view but The catch is that CBSAs primary role is to protect Canada’s borders and not to issue permits that have not been preapproved by IRCC which they often do reluctantly. Hence for example the restrictions across the Ontario border with the US where they will only accept flagpolers on Tues/Weds/Thursday through specific hours Given traffic volumes outside these days.

If everyone turned up to flagpole then at some point both USCBP and CBSA would likely close down the option for anyone not preapproved completely as a distraction from their primary mission.
Correct me if i'm wrong but this will only save time right, no other advantage of flagpole?