+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Fixed Deposit a sufficient mean of financial proof?

ana786

Star Member
Nov 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
VFS Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 12
File Transfer...
Oct 17
Med's Request
Nov 1
Med's Done....
Nov 7
Passport Req..
Nov 11
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 24
Hi, my parent will be applying for a visitors visa in order to attend my graduation early next year. For her documents she will be providing a Fixed Deposit in her name and proof of employment (email from her employer that she will be returning) as her financial support. Would that suffice or does she need to show a bank statement as well? Thanks

Aug 1, 2019
I think FD should be fine.
I had applied for my wife's Visitors visa, she didn't get it, but at least it wasn't because of FD or lack of funds
It was because of no travel history and ties strong in Canada compared to India

ana786

Star Member
Nov 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
VFS Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 12
File Transfer...
Oct 17
Med's Request
Nov 1
Med's Done....
Nov 7
Passport Req..
Nov 11
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 24
I think FD should be fine.
I had applied for my wife's Visitors visa, she didn't get it, but at least it wasn't because of FD or lack of funds
It was because of no travel history and ties strong in Canada compared to India
Thanks and sorry to hear about your wife's visa. I'm assuming an FD along with a letter from the bank stating that it can be liquated at any time should be okay. Just to be on the safe side, should she show her brother's bank statement too? Or does it have to be something that's under her name only

Aug 1, 2019
Her Brother as in your uncle. It has to be immediate family. Once we get married, our immediate family is our spouse and kids.
So if your uncle is showing balance from his bank, he should give her a letter stating that for his sister's upcoming trip to Canada, she has unconditional access to XX dollars, just in case she needs it.
The more funds you show, better it is

Nick_3747

Jul 31, 2019
1. FD is not ok, you should have sufficient funds in your savings as fd is not considered as a liquid fund.
2. You would need to attach 6 months saving bank statement.
3. You can also break the FD and deposit it your account and show fd surrender documents as a proof of funds.

Good luck

ana786

Star Member
Nov 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
VFS Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 12
File Transfer...
Oct 17
Med's Request
Nov 1
Med's Done....
Nov 7
Passport Req..
Nov 11
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 24
1. FD is not ok, you should have sufficient funds in your savings as fd is not considered as a liquid fund.
2. You would need to attach 6 months saving bank statement.
3. You can also break the FD and deposit it your account and show fd surrender documents as a proof of funds.

Good luck
Thanks for your reply. Would FD not be considered a liquid fund if I get a letter from the bank stating it can be liquified at any time? it doesn't have a restriction or requirement for any fixed amount of time etc.

ana786

Star Member
Nov 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
VFS Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 12
File Transfer...
Oct 17
Med's Request
Nov 1
Med's Done....
Nov 7
Passport Req..
Nov 11
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 24
Her Brother as in your uncle. It has to be immediate family. Once we get married, our immediate family is our spouse and kids.
So if your uncle is showing balance from his bank, he should give her a letter stating that for his sister's upcoming trip to Canada, she has unconditional access to XX dollars, just in case she needs it.
The more funds you show, better it is
Thank you, appreciate it!

ana786

Star Member
Nov 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
VFS Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 12
File Transfer...
Oct 17
Med's Request
Nov 1
Med's Done....
Nov 7
Passport Req..
Nov 11
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 24
Hi if anyone else would like to share what they think, it'd really be helpful. I don't want to take any risk for the first attempt..